Flare: Skin becomes thick and waxy (GRAPHIC IMAGES)

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone experienced flares where it is delayed and then progresses to red, thick, waxy skin before peeling? It takes a couple of weeks for the thick waxy buildup on my shaft to peel (with clob). My trigger is friction (sex) - it is merely red the day after and then worsens day by day despite treatment.

The original LS site (glans) never turned thick, waxy and then peeling although perhaps because it was thicker skin?

Pics:

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

The original LS was on glans. Managed that and now the second flare on the shaft.

• Posted

Hello dr. jj,

Been wondering how you were. I think the redness and shrinking of the skin are the inflammatory state of LS. I have some similar redness but my skin is not yet crinkly. It does hurt though. Perhaps the friction of sex is exacerbating the inflammation, I don't know but clearly that's not a comfortable. Does it hurt? Have you identified any other life or dietary factor that might has brought this on? I am sorry...

biscuit

• Posted

I was told by derm that it is rare for LS to spread beyond the glans. The glans LS is fully under control with halebetasol.

I've only had intercourse 3 times since overcoming the August flare on shaft. It was pain free. Manual stimulation in late July and this time seems to trigger it. I don't see any dietary factor. Now I am petrified of sex of any kind. Wife is understanding but boy this is not good.

Worse, the only biopsy on shaft (in February) said it was not LS but "eczematous dermatitis." Can eczema (which I have never had on my penis) do what this flare has done??!!

• Posted

I am taking photos of how it looks with various treatments - Vaseline only, clob/halebetasol, tacrolimus. I can't really find a pattern. I did go 2 months after last flare with nothing but Vaseline down there and it was not crinkly (that peels away). Obviously, the skin was more damaged than it looked.

Biggest dilemma: I don't know if this is LS on shaft. If it is, halebetasol/clob is fine. If it isn't, then the steroid will damage that thin skin (the glans can take it because it is rough and thick).

• Posted

Hi JJ,

I'm not sure if you still frequent the forum, but I hope so.

I saw that you originally posted on a thread before your diagnosis (which I assume was after a biopsy) just querying about redness around your urethra opening.

Just a question, because I'm not sure how LS presents, but I have a reoccurring redness/rash after masturbation or sex. Tends to be red around the urethra and a particular section of the glans themselves, toward the base. Occasionally it'll be red blotches all over the head.

If I abstain from masturbating, it does clear up drastically, although I'm not sure it's ever fully gone, seems to look different from one moment to the next. Was this the same for you?

I visited a dermatologist four years ago who looked at it and said that basically he wouldn't do a biopsy as the redness wasn't consistent. It's not gotten worse, but not any better. I've stopped seeking treatment as I was at my wits end.

Just concerned it may be LS and trying to establish if the redness came and went for you. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.