Flare suspected

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am on 6 mgm pred. A few weeks ago I PULLED A MUSCLE IN MY LEFT BUTTOCK which is annoying but manageable. All of a sudden, after feeling quite well and pain free this morning my other hip became so stiff and I have now trouble walking. I feel rather achy in shoulders pelvis. I did not do any special exertion but last night significantly short of sleep. I suspect a budding flare and added 5mgm pred extra this evening. Sounds right? I thought I would see if this helps and take the extra 5mgm 3 days or so going back to 6 mgm 1 mgm at a time over as many days.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I think I'd have done the same as you but pulling a muscle that must affect your balance may well have contributed to the other discomforts. Fingers crossed it's not a budding flare.

• Posted

I agree with Betty - although a fall is enough to cause a flare. It has been confirmed in a study!

• Posted

iI never fell; pulled it a few weeks ago trying an exercise but I THINK LACK OF SLEEP mAY HAVE TRiGGERED THIS. I feel better today having taken the additional 5 mg last evening. wondering if I should go 2 more days with the extra 5 mgm then decrease 1 mgm day until I'm back to 6. I'm scheduled for a possible hip injection on the 31. I'm having a family party on the 1st. Limping is making it hard to prepare.

• Posted

Update: sudden terrible bursitis along with previously mentioned L buttock pain. No other symptoms of flare. Since my rheumy is in vacation and my physio IS sick I consulted a firmer anesthesia colleague who does pain injections ; he gave me steroid shots in the affected places. I wonder if overexercise a few days ago set off the bursitis. Did not change my pred dose save one day of 5 mgm extra when I wondered if it was a flare. Its frustrating because I am trying to improve my fiittness and do not feel overdoing it right away.

• Posted

I personally would seek medical advise b4 increasing your meds, you may need a blood test to check if your inflammation levels have increased.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

You are right it is best to speak to your doctors before changing your dose. But symptoms should always trump lab results as many patients don't develop the raised levels of blood markers while taking pred and they frequently also lag well behind a developing flare.

• Posted

I am fairly new to developing and PMR and now GCA, however if i feel any change i symptoms, or in fact how i feel i seek medical advise and am given blood test same day and advised by hospital to either increase mt steroids as a precaution, until bloods results come through, normally same day if hosp or 24 if through doc.

• Posted

You are very lucky - most patients can't even get a GP appointment the same day, never mind have blood taken. As for a quick response from a hospital - most rheumatology helplines are only answerphones and staffed by nurses who call back within a few days. Contacting a doctor is not easy!

• Posted

I have trundled along on 10mgs for so long - almost all of my latter 5 1/2 years with PMR - which I trust from experience to keep me flareless. Decided to break the impasse and for last six weeks been decreasing (but tricky because i can get only small 5mg tablets so cutting them an inaccurate mission). In the past few days have been suffering unbearably with very bad pain in my right leg which I put down to a mildly twisted ankle. Then today, BINGO, occurred to me it was the poly complaining about my Pred decrease. Increased this morning to 15mgs . Now hopefully awaiting response with fingers crossed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.