Flare-up

Posted , 5 users are following.

After two attacks since April, one hospital stay, Ive had a flare up. Back on meds.  Haven’t eaten anything in question.  I haven’t had hip pain, but prior to the flare up, my legs have been weak.   This is just miserable. Afraid to travel for fear of being out of country and this happen.  I really have not felt great in 6 months. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Does your left side hurt.? That’s where all my pain is.  Seeing Gastro Dr again this afternoon. Boy we are all so tired of this thing. Makes you want a brand new system.  What meds are you back on? Oh I hope you recover from this quickly! 
  • Posted

Diverticulitis is one of those conditions which my travel insurance (through Axa) says there is no need to declare. On many insurers when you apply on-line the list of ailments you do not need to declare is DD. You need to plan how to enjoy life with the condition. Always have plenty of painkillers and some antibiotics to take if you get ill away from home or abroad. Just having them gives you confidence which helps. Possibly worry brings on the disease. Who knows? I am not a Dr just somebody who has been at it since 2004! The other thing is to determine what diet suits you best. Bran and high fibre breakfast aerials destroy me. Everybody is different however. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

With all due respect ALL the travel insurance companies that I contacted which were about ten , told me that Diverticulitis MUST be declared.  They said it was a common disease and that is why the cost of insurance goes up. If you travel abroad and do NOT declare DD  and become ill , and end up in hospital for treatment , your travel insurance company will NOT pay a penny .  In fact your insurance policy becomes null and void . 

You must declare DD to the travel insurance companies.  

• Posted

Hi Jayne

I agree with so much of what Jeremy has written about travelling with DD.

For the time being I have made a pact with myself that I will not even think of leaving the UK because of concerns about it. This has taken a bit of pressure off me.

I am concerned though that some friends (I do not have many and they are very important to me as I do not have family) think I am being awkward in declining invitations that would take me away from home, or out of the country. They all say that other countries have excellent health services. I know this, but they do not have any idea of the practicalities of it all.

x

• Posted

I am insured by UK Insurance through my Nationwide Flex Account - an annual European Travel cover.  I have always declared all my medical conditions.  With this company I was told that there was no surcharge for DD, although it was listed as a declared medical condition.  However I am surcharged for high blood pressure and glaucoma because I take regular prescribed medication for both. 

Insurance companies in the UK vary enormously.  One company wanted to charge 100% surcharge for each of the well woman tests I had during the previous 12 months, mammogram, smear and bowel, each of which was negative.  The reason given was that each was a cancer test, regardless of whether it was a regular well woman test, or the outcome.  So you have to shop around and be honest. 

I ALWAYS take a set of antibiotics with me when I go abroad, and have never had to use them (watch the use by date).  I think it's the psychological effect of knowing I have them with me, rather than worrying that I MIGHT become ill.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.