flare up Lichen Sclerosus

Posted , 10 users are following.

I was diagnosed with LS last April. I am 48 and also have hypothyroid and Alopecia Areata Totalis and was told it was linked to having those auto immune conditions. Once I started clobetasol ointment and oestrogen pessaries my symptoms became well controlled. However since last December I have had hardly a day symptom free, usually mild itching in the morning or if I forgot to moisturise. However some fare ups have been particularly bad and I am experiencing one at the moment, constant needle type itching, sore red skin. I have tried diprobase ointment, cetroban ointment, emu aid, I only use aqueous cream or e45 wash (never soap) to wash with.

i have read some posts recommending Hydromel. What is that and do you need a prescription?

I have just listened to the webinar by Dr Goldstein and wondered whether I haven't rubbed in the steroid cream for long enough. I had been applying it twice a day as it got so bad but stopped the past few days as I worried that the flare up was caused by overuse.

Any body have any suggestions? The discomfort is hard to live with.

thanks

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you to everyone who replied I'm really grateful for you taking the time.

• Posted

Thank you everyone who replied. I am very grateful for this site. I have changed to the clobetasol to ointment rather than cream and spend longer rubbing it in as per Dr Goldstein's advice.

Also doing bicarb soaks twice a day over labia prior to clobetasol. (have stopped steroid cream on anal area but using anusol cream on the sore broken areas around perineum as I think the skin had broken down and become inflamed. This has now cleared up)

Also using diprobase barrier ointment after urinating.

Have had sweet relief from LS symptoms the past 3 days and feel normal for first time in nearly 3 months.

The hygiene and creaming rituals are tiresome but well worth it.

Thank you again, especially the bicarb advice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.