flare-up or just inflammation?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Please help. I'm currently on holiday, sat in my room on my own, with lots of left sided pain and discomfort. In tears, feeling very sorry for myself. I'm taking paracetamol and drinking lots of water. I really don't know what else to do. I should be having a great time but feel so miserable. I don't want to spoil my husband's holiday, he's worked so hard for this. I'm sorry to offload but need to tell someone who will understand.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Could be something you have eaten. It happened to me a few weeks ago (runny eggs) I just rested and the pain had gone by the next morning. I would see how it goes. If it doesnt improve, especially after having your bowels opened, then you might have to go to the doc. Good luck and dont panic

• Posted

I have found in the past tgat the stress of actually getting on holiday has caused the type of pain you are getting. The packing, organising travel and so on can be stressful. I find that any type of stress or tension causes a problem for whatever reason. In my experience this is not an infection, though it can take quite a while to get better. If you don't have any other symptoms of infection then this may be the explanation, and you will know your own body best. Try to relax and rest and enjoy things as best you can. If you suspect an infection and/or it gets worse then you will need to find a doctor.

• Posted

Hi Wendy, I hope the pain has eased a little. I know how you feel I took very ill a few months ago whilst in Cyprus.

I was I agony for a week and like you felt so sorry for my husband - I tried to hide a lot of what was happening from him.

Please go to Dr if it gets worse.

I hid away in hotel room for over a week as scared to go to a foreign Dr. In the end I had to go and was immediately admitted to hospital after test I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis from CT Scan plus I had a double kidney infection. As I had not received treatment I got Sepsis too. My situation was extreme. So don't fear anything, just monitor your own feelings, heat pads worked for me a little if there is a Pharmacy nearby.

Take Care xHx

• Posted

I had a quick look at your earlier posts and the advice given then.  You have had attacks of Diverticulitis in the past and so you know what it feels like.  If you just have the pain with no other symptoms it might just be inflammation.  But if you have the other symptoms of fever, cramps, altered bowel, nausea then it could be infection.  I suggest you stick to clear fluids only for 48 hours if you can, but if you have ANY signs of infection, or begin to feel worse, you MUST ask to see a doctor.  It can be dangerous not to, if you have a complication. 

You will need to have your passport and your Travel Insurance with you, plus your E111 card if applicable.  I hope you declared your Diverticulitis when you got your insurance, otherwise it might be invalid.  I ended up in hospital in January after an accident on Lanzarote and was given excellent treatment.  Now when I go on holiday I always take a course of Diverticulitis antibiotics just in case - so far I have not needed them - plus a doctor's list of all my medications.  I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Thank you Felina. I don't have a temperature or nausea, fortunately, and am drinking lots of water. I do have insurance and declared my diverticulitis, I also asked my Dr for a prescription just in case, but he wouldn't let me have one! I also have my E11 card, so everything in place. Am feeling slightly better this morning, so hope it's on its way out. Thank you for taking the time to respond to me. I appreciate the support of this forum.

• Posted

Hi Wendy

Hopefully it was just inflammation then.  Over the years I've come to realise that when I get the odd normal tummy upset, it does also trigger my DD pain.  Guess it's just the bowel lining gets very irritated. 

I was probably lucky because a few days before a holiday I started getting the usual pains and phoned my GP to explain I was going away and did not want to be in a foreign country without medication.  He (reluctantly) prescribed and I carried the pills with me.  I never needed them and they are part of my travel kit now until they expire.  Hope you can enjoy the rest of your holiday.

• Posted

Thank you, Felina. I stayed on water - no alcohol - and light meals. It seems to be easing now, thankfully. It's a real drag, as you know! I think being on holiday you take a chance, as there is so much to choose from food wise. Home in a couple of days now, anyway.

• Posted

Poor you   That is very scary when you are in a strange place.  Switch to fluids only and see how it goes. If you are not running a temperature you can just monitor. If it gets worse don’t hesitate to get help. Your health is more important than a holiday. 

Anne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.