Flare ups

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I had a really bad flare in my left hand and wrist this week that kept me out of work for 2 days. Now it's gone into my knee, and it's done this before. It goes to the back of the knee and feels like my entire knee has been filled up with fluid. The pain is awful and hard to walk on.

Has anyone else had this type of flare up, where it starts in one spot and then goes to another immediately? And has anyone else dealt with a flare on the back of the knee? Ice seems to help it a little bit, which is odd because ice anywhere else tends to make me feel worse. But it is incredibly swollen and hurts like heck. Dang, I just want a normal body!

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes, this is exactly how my flairs progress except that i get the pain in both hands, fingers and wrists, before going into my knee, and usually will have a bakers cyst behind my knee as well. Once its got to this point, a prednisone pac is the only solutiin to getting rid of the flair, and then 5 mg daily prednisone to keep flairs under much better control, and in much less frequency.
    • Posted

Oh my goodness! C2Anna, I've only had both hands flare up at one time twice, and it was awful. I feel for you! My regular doctor thought it was a Bakers cyst the first time it happened but my chiropractor said I would totally see the cyst and it doesn't appear to be a cyst. These things all happened before I was diagnosed last summer so I didn't know what was going on. Now I know. sad The pain is awful. Thank you for responding. I always feel like I'm going crazy when this happens.
    • Posted

It helps so much to have support and understanding with our ongoing conditions.. I don't think ive accepted that this is a forever condition yet, and keep hoping i can get into remission for yrs and yrs..lol..i keep hoping..so far though i have found ways to keep the flares at bay.. As far as the bakers cyst, ive never been able to visually see it, but my knee does not straighten out due to the underlying bakers cyst (fluid filled sack at the back of the knee).. Yes, it is really painful and sets our posture very off balance..then feeling pain in our hips, back, leg, etc until it goes away. Since it usually comes on with my flairs, it usually takes prednisone to help it go down..but i have had them cime and then go without it on occcasion! It can take up to 2 months for me!
    • Posted

My sister has all the symptoms descibed on this forum (last 2 yeras)...pain in knee (the worst) wrists, feet....stiffness all over...she has tried Mxt/Sulphazine ...but no-one has actually told her she has Rheumatoid Arthritis...they say Inflammatory arthritis....was this the same for you....and how long was it before you got a true diagnosis.....Methotrexate affected her liver, she now has to have her gallbladder out!  a complete ongoing battle for her.  Thank you for any replies....
    • Posted

I laughed at your reply about not accepting it as a permanent condition, C2Anna. I'm the same way. lol 

Now the pain is going to my left shoulder blade and elbow. The wrist and hand are still sore, but it's obivous the flare is moving around. My knee is still super swollen and painful. Ugh! I kind of went off my gluten free diet last week and also had a lot of repetitive use for several weeks at work. I'm wondering if the 2 things together caused the flare.

• Posted

Hi Linda,

That is strange that no one has diagnosed your sister yet. They can do so by looking at certain blood tests. It certainly sounds like she has RA, but there are other things that can mimick it, which is why it's so important to have lab work done. Sorry to hear about her gallbladder. Awful! I was on Methotrexate as well but stopped using it and went on something else. It made me feel worse all over and also caused a lot of nausea and hair loss. 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply,  My sister has had regular blood tests, especially with the episode around the methotrexate....the nurse parctioner said her readings weren`t sky high, they now want to try her on other drugs, but will have to wait til her liver enzymes are better.  She has seen a Rheumatologist (not impressed!) ...She has had quite a few steroid injections, in her knee, but gets the best relief (short term of course) when she has the injection in her bottom....it relieves all the painful joints....

What do you think of "biologics" which we have read about  at the hospital, are they commonly used and affective...and a last resort?? Thank you anyone who can advise....

• Posted

Gosh, my flares always follow as yours have! Getting off track with gluten, grains, soy or dairy...or doing to much when im feeling good..or not quite enough sleep with extra stress in some way.. When the pain moves all iver different places, many say this is fibromyalga..along with the RA, brought in by additional emotional distress..sensitivity due to our physical makeup! I dont know for sure but it does ring true for myself and others i know! Magnesium (glycinate) takes away the fibromyalga for me ( but must be taken with calcium and D3 to all be properly absorbed). It has been gone for 4 yrs this way. Methotrexate induces polyarthritis for many people in addition to their RA, which is the result of lowering our immune system..nausia is caused by not taking folic acid or not taking enough if it (some need 2 mg daily, as opposed to 1 mg daily). Also quite a bit of additional daily ater is needed when taking methotrexate i discovered.;-) I take plaquinil rathet than biologics as these lower the immune system inducing more physical conditions, and i have no side effects from the plaquinil (3 + yrs on this). I do take 5 mg daily prednisone also which helps keep flares to a minimum, along with a daily anti- inflammatory (mobic as it is much gentler on my stomach). I have to laugh at myself to for trying to tell myself this is going to get better one day and i will go into long term remission .. It seems to lighten me somehow and keeps me more on the up and up..at least this little mind trip seems too keep me more positive ;-)
    • Posted

Additional Water...not ater.. Mistake above :-\
    • Posted

Oh my gosh you have no idea how relieved I am to hear that you deal with the same thing as I'm dealing with. So many times I question myself and wonder if the pain is related to the RA or something else. This is all still so new to me. I was just diagnosed last September after dealing with pain and fatigue/malaise for about 18 months.

Please don't tell me I have Fibro too...ugh! Today I got such a bad flare in my shoulder blade area that it literally took my breath away. I was moving a very small portion of ribs (pork baby back ribs) from one tray to another and it was as if I had lifted 3000 lbs. The nerve pain was so bad I felt like I might pass out, or throw up; or both. I was in tears it hurt so bad. I had to go lie down and we were on our way to meet friends for coffee so I forced myself to go out and I'm glad I did. But it has wiped me out all day today. 

It's like a certain area in my shoulder blades/center of the my back get some kind of nerve that just goes crazy and I can't even explain the pain, but it literally takes my breath away it's so bad. I have had this happen a few times before, but it usually only lasts about 60-90 seconds and then starts to calm down. Today it lasted for about 15 minutes and even after it settled down, I was still in pain all day. 

I was taking Magnesium for awhile, but it caused night sweats really bad. Maybe if I try it with the calcium and D3 it will help?

I am on 1mg of Folic Acid. The med I'm currently on (Arava) doesn't make me nauseous though. Thank goodness! And I'm a water drinker anyway. I probably drink about a gallon a day with lemon. Not all at once of course. haha But even before the diagnosis I was always a water drinker to detox. And the anti inflammatory I take is Indomethacin. It's strong and I have to eat a pretty large meal before taking it, but it really does help.

Thank you for all of your knowledge and insights! And thank you for being there for me the last 2 days. I've been feeling awful and just knowing that I'm not crazy and that others have dealt with this too has helped me emotionally. Thank you, thank you thank you!! I hope to have your positive attitude to help me along the way!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.