Flare Ups

Posted , 6 users are following.

So how long do flare ups usually lasts ?  My eyes have gotten so dry over the last few months that I no longer produce even emotional tears out of my right one (I mean I do a little but nut much and a lot less than the left eye).  Do you think this is a flare up and it will improve  or is this my new normal sad

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Andrea,  I was diagnosed with Sjorgrens about 3 1/2 years ago. One thing that really helped me was feeling like I had a little bit of control over SS.  I chose to go all natural (avoiding medication).  It has worked well for me and I find that my "flare ups" and "remissions" tend to concide with what's happening in my life. For example, there are 5 areas that you can control:  Diet, stress, sleep, exercise, toxins. I eat as clean as I possibly can most of the time (I give myself a cheat day once a week -- and can eat whatever I want).  For stress -- just try to figure out ways to manage it because it can't be avoided.  Sleep -- not too much, not too little -- for me that means 7-8 hours.  Exercise -- again, not too much, not too little ( I "try" to exercise 3 times a week, walking, running and I joined a ladies dance class).  Toxins -- I live in a place where there is a lot of pollution -- I actually rigged a fan to work as an air purifier and I purchased indoor plants that help clean toxins out of the air, I make most of my own cleaning products (from vinegar, baking powder, lemon, etc.).  I avoid the use of pesticides and try to opt for more natural methods.  All these things in combination have made a difference for me.  Of course, if I eat things that are hard for my liver to process, or am exposed to toxins through meds or pollution, or if I am extremely stressed, then I am likely to have "flare-ups."  However, I feel much better knowing that I can do something about it.  Hope this helps.  
    • Posted

Thank you for the advice.  I do try to eat good of course  I am not always great at it.  The try to manage my stree  but I am just like my mother (you know the worry wort LOL), but I do try to not stress to much but it is hard when my eyes feel like the dessert sad  I do exercise and try tio get enough sleep (but I have had insomnia my whole life).  Luckily I do not have the fatigue or joint pain problems yet.  I have the dry eyes and neuropathy.   You do seem to have gone all natural which sounds good.  I wish I had the will power to do that. What are the symptoms that you have and how best to you manage each direct symptom?
    • Posted

Hi Andrea,

My symptoms have included joint pain, dry eyes, dry mouth, Raynauds, fatigue, hair loss. Currently I have dry eyes (only from time to time--and probably mild), and dry mouth, mostly only at night. Raynauds only if my feet get extremely cold. My joint pain seemed to disappear soon after I gave up all sugar, including bread and starches. My only sugar was through fresh fruit and dried fruit with no sugar added. To relieve my dry eyes, I use some natural eye drops--100% natural (not sure if I can give you the name on this forum), but they are wonderful. They don't make my eyes sting and they help get rid of the dryness temporarily. I only use when they feel dry, which lately seems to be mostly in the morning. For dry mouth, usually at night or early morning, I use an all-natural mouthwash. I eat umeboshi plums which I feel has helped too, but that is just my own personal experience. They are Japanese pickled plums you can buy at an Asian store or health food store. They are super salty like a pickle. I started eating them because they are supposed to help with digestion, so I eat before or after a meal-- maybe 1-2 times a day. I feel like this helps with my saliva production, but that's just from my personal experience and not any scientific research. When my mouth used to be really, really dry, I used to use coconut oil and rub a little inside my mouth since it also has antibacterial property. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Morelia,

I see you say you've had hair loss. I'm sure you're well aware of this, but for the benefit of less experienced sufferers, Sjogrens - like SLE - is well-known for attacking the thyroid gland in some people. One of the symptoms of an under-active thyroid is hair loss. I assume you're getting thyroid function included in blood tests at least once a year.

Like you, I'm very resistant to the idea of taking medication for my SS. I do, however, take the L-thyroxine my doctor prescribes. I don't consider this to be a medication in the normal sense, as it's a synthetic version of thyroid hormone, which my body no longer makes enough of. A bit like insulin for diabetes.

I'd advise anyone diagnosed with an under-active thyroid to take it seriously. It's not dangerous in the short term, in the way an over-active thyroid is, but it's bad news in the long term if it's untreated. It slows and weakens the heartbeat, and over the years this can lead to the heart muscle being replaced by fat - like any under-used muscle - which brings on chronic heart failure. Thyroid hormone deficiency can also cause mental slowing, and is sometimes misdiagnosed as dementia in the elderly.

I've been on L-thyroxine for six years now. It hasn't regrown any of the hair I lost - which is unfortunately always the case - but I haven't had any further hair loss since then. I've also had more energy and have found it easier to lose weight.

• Posted

Hi Lily,

Good information Lily. Yes, I have had my thyroid checked regularly by my doctors--so far, that's not the problem for me. I did show problems with hormone levels and some minerals including zinc and iron--it seems like all these problem are connected in one way or another. My levels are now at more normal levels. I actually did have "some" regrowth of hair. My naturopath explained that if the regrowth happens within a year or so from when you lost it, it might grow back. I agree with you that if your thyroid is not functioning, then you should, of course be guided by a good doctor with medications. I'm definitely not against medication, I just like to minimize what I take because I don't want to be tied to it if I don't need to.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.