Flare ups

Posted , 11 users are following.

Not really sure what you all consider flare ups.  I think I am doing pretty well on 7.5.  The back of my thighs are sore most of the time.  The arms are great.  Do you consider this a flare up and I should go  back to 8?  It is just a dull kind of pain.  does not stop me from doing  anything.  aleve takes away the  pain. 

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

After a week of having reduced to 13mg from 25mg too fast on rheumy's instructions in 5 weeks,  I suffered such unbearable pain in the spine I thought I was dying.  Went very red and was sweating all over.  Could hardly move and had to get my husband to call 999.  They didn't know anything about PMR and told me to contact my surgery.  Luckily I had taken an extra 2mg and suddenly the pain started to subside and within an hour I felt back to 'normal'.    Well, I presumed this pain, worse than childbirth, was a "flare".  I then stayed on 15mg for a few weeks and can only reduce half mg per month. First week feel very fatigued and achy so don't organise anything , then start to feel better.  I rang the rheumy and told him I was going to take myself down as and when and told him about this forum and all th advice it offers.    He said that was fine. 

• Posted

Even 1/2mg per month is too much for some people. However, at least you seem to have a sensible rheumy!!

Good luck.

• Posted

Trust me, you will know when you are having a flare up.  If your pain in your thighs remains at the same level, I wouldn't consider that a flare up and I wouldn't increase the meds.  My humble opinion.

• Posted

I live with pain in my thighs, ankles, right hip and lower spine. I assume this is largely to do with arthritis but also, to a certain extent, PMR. I would not consider it a flare. I have had this pain even when on 20mg, so it is not improved by pred. What the pred does make disappear, is all the original pain in the top half of my body - arms, shoulders etc. So I feel there is a difference between the two kinds of pain - top half and lower half! I find a couple of paracetamol perhaps twice a day certainly helps the leg/hip pain. I am currently on 15 mg and have started reducing today to 14 mg. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.