Flare ups

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi hope someone has some advice.

I had a stay in hospital as my gallbladder was inflamed and I had to have intravenous anti biotics and have had an mri and been told I have gallstones. 

Today all of a sudden I have tummy pains and back pain like I had last time but don’t know what to do or how to treat it. I’m hoping it will wear off. I’ve taken some paracetamol so anyone who has had a flare up will it wear off? Really don’t want another hospital stay! Think I’m on the list to have my gallbladder removed. 

Thankyou

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Honestly I had a stay in hospital for a week then had almost constant flare ups til it got removed. Make sure you’re eating minimal amounts of fat and keep going to see your gp for pain relief/to make sure things aren’t really flaring up again xx
  • Posted

Drink plenty of water and try some IBS meds like buscopan.

I can tell you're from the UK as your not sure if your on the list for surgery or not plus most other countries sort the infection then remove the gallbladder asap.

Good luck👍

• Posted

matt57085, is buscopan a medication found in the UK? Im in the US and haven't seen it.  Is it by prescription?

• Posted

Hi Lindy yes it's an over the counter IBS med in the UK. I thought it would be available world wide to be honest.

• Posted

I just had mine removed Monday. I changed my diet and it helped a little but some ppl are against take out the gallbladder. Then others say they are glad they did cause they feel so much better. So I can’t aay which is best but if getting infected I’d have removed hun. 
  • Posted

Hi Susan .... I don't think paracetamol will do the trick; it didn't do anything for me.  I didn't experience pains in my tummy - my pain was on my right side, chest area and my back.  I didn't know for quite a while that I had gallstones until one night I felt really sick and early the next morning I vomited undigested food from the previous evening.  I felt better after that but went straight to my doctor who immediately suspected gallstones - after scans etc., I was diagnosed with gallstones.   I had my gallbladder removed April 2015 after some really painful flare-ups.   Until you have your GB removed, my strong advice would be to totally leave fat out of your diet.  ( we have a tasty chippy down the road and when my son came home with some chips I couldn't resist one or two (actually I had five) I then suffered one of my worst flare-ups - very very painful and nothing would help it - and that was due to FIVE chips!)   Also gallstones can affect your liver; one evening my doctor rang me about some test results and she told me not to drink alcohol at all as my liver was being affected.   I told her that I didn't drink at all - for her that was another reason to get my gallbladder removed asap as the little fat that I did consume was having a very bad effect on my health.  So, in a nutshell - check all the ingredients of what you consume and leave fat alone.   With best wishes to you.

• Posted

Hi Moonday,

Thanks for your post, I see the consultant for the first time at end of week afer having a few bad flare ups and scans showed two small stones. As I've mentioned on a thread I started 3 days ago I was favouring no operation as I've been ok for 6 weeks no fat. But, Like you I remenber something the scan guy said to me, that my liver was a bit fatty and I wonder if having the gall stones that my liver may be long term affected by a slowing up of bile from my bladder. This makes me think that for this reason I should get it out. I'm too am not a big drinker, but who knows.

Thanks again

tony, uk

• Posted

how do you feel after the surgery. are you able to eat fatty foods now ?
  • Posted

Thankyou all, yes I am in uk.

The pain has worn off now, kept burping but that’s stopped now, unless it was trapped wind!!!!! 🤣

Thanks for all the advice and I am trying not to eat fatty foods so hopefully it was just a blip today 😊

• Posted

Before you jump to the conclusion you must have your gall bladder removed you should read Ursodioxycholic acid and talk to your carer about it. It amazes all who know about dissolving cholesterol stones by that method therefore avoiding the removal.  All there is to know is there on the internet......

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.