Flashes in right eye but I don't have retinal detachment

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been experiencing sudden eye Flashes in my right eye from Last 15-20 days..I got my eyes checked Last week , Doctor has checked my eyes properly and he just prescribed me GenTeal eye drops and told me to wear glasses which can cover whole eye (I was wearing Rimless glasses at that time) so I changed my frame too but it's still there. What should I do? Should I get checked for diabetes?

0 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

  • Posted

    When you say a doctor checked your eyes.  What sort of doctor?

    An Ophthalmologist is a doctor who specialises in eyes.

    Gen Teal is a lubricating eye drop.

    Whenever I get flashes in my eyes, is can be caused by one of 3 things.  It could be dry eyes, it could be blepharitis or it could be inflammation - this is in my case, just to give you an example.

    I have never been told to change my rimless specs for a pair with rims.

    I suffer from photophobia, so I always wear photochromic lenses and dark glasses when I am outside.

    Have the eye drops helped at all?


    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Hi there

      I am interested in hearinng more about photophobia. Can you tell me what you were experiencinng before you knew you had photophobia?

      I won't diagnose myself but this sounds all to familiar with me atm.


      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Are you on any new medication? Amiodarone caused me have flashes and floaters.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi Shrishti,

    You really need to see an ophthalmologist and get your eyes tested. They will do a more though check than the doctor. I have flashing lights and am now under the hospital for regular checks. Am in England and noproblems getting sorted.

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      I Have a feeling that shrishti is in the US.  Gen Teal appears to be manufactured in Canada,  I don't know whether it is available in the UK.  Her other posts use the American way of spelling.  She also says she is 17
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I am from India, and my eyes were checked by ophthalmologist only
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi there,

    Interesting question & alot of interesting replies. My opinion?


    Why waste time & money with a GP (Doctor) who does not specialise in eyes?

    I bring you this advice based on my own experiences over the past 7 years - with Doctors & with an Optometrist

    I have had severe double vision & all these wonderful experts told me "We can't do anything for you"


    So I finally get jack of this after pain was starting in my right eye. I insisted on a referral to an Opthalmologist who kindly referred me to a Neuro Opthalmologist

    Both told me I have "heavy eye syndrome" but most commonly called Stabismus, which is found with children & can be found in adults

    I had surgery FINALLY. Now all my pain & double vision is gone - the surgery was not painful

    Only an Opthalmologist could predict what I needed  to know & needed to undergo

    Please heed everyone's advise. Go to an Opthalmologixt! A GP or Optometrist will not help you - it is a fantasic investment into your sight

    AND IF YOU ARE WORRIED? Well the alternative is permanent loss of sight.

    Keep us posted & good luck.

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      You obviously didn't read shrishti's post, she says she is from India and has been seeingan Ophthalmologist.

      I have never heard of Strabismus referred to as 'heavy eye syndrome' . The colloquial name in the UK, is 'squint'.


      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi Shrishti,  I don't know about the health service in India but if you still have flashing lights, then you should go back to your Ophthalmologist and ask him these questions.

    Are you very tired?  You sometimes get flashing lights when you are over tired.


    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up