Flashes of light

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone ever experienced flashes of light in the outer corner of their eye? I see them when I turn over in bed, when I yawn, bend over, turn my head.. not every time, but sometimes. Also when I walk from from light to dark, and the other way around. I see one flash in one eye at a time. They're driving me crazy. I'm so scared it's because of a brain tumor... I've seen those flashes for 2 months now, every single day. I went to two eye doctors and both said my eyes are healthy. I also went to a neurologist and after examining my reflexes, coordination, etc. she also said I'm healthy. I'm thinking of getting an MRI... I'm really scared 😦

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

please try to relax because there would be other symptoms if it was a brain tumor, especially if this has been going on for two months! . That is not one of the typical symptoms.

your mind is going to the worst case scenario which is not likely.

Other possible causes for the light flash can be headache, migraine, stress, eyestrain such as when people are on their cell phones, iPads, etc. for hours. The main thing is that you have had your eyes checked out and everything is fine. I have had those flashes on and off and everything is fine.

i know exactly how you feel. i had health anxiety for years and always thought the worst case was going to happen. Then I started learning how the mind works and how our thoughts come up with things that are basically false and not factual.

Fear is the driving force. But it is baseless

. Fear stands for false evidence appearing real. That’s what happens when we let it take over.instead of going by our feelings and emotions, we need to go by the facts.

FACT......remember, as far as what you wrote the flashing light is the only symptom you have. . I’ve known a person with a brain tumor and not once did she have a flash of light. by the way, she is very healthy today!

FACT.... you have been checked out by the Doctor Who said your eyes are fine.

FACT... The neurologist also could not find anything to be concerned about. People with brain tumors have obvious neurological signs that the doctor would have seen.

FACT..... Brain tumors are rare in people from 0 to 2 years old all the way through ages 41 to 60. They most commonly occur in people 60 years and older. But even at that, it’s not that many compared to the population in that age group.

The worst thing you can do is sit around and think about this because it’s going to increase your anxiety and possibly your flashes. I hope you can relax. You can go ahead and get the MRI but don’t be surprised if it comes back totally fine! Take care !

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me, I always feel better when someone shows me some logic 😉 I know that there are many benign reasons for seeing those flashes but I'm always jumping to the worst case scenario....

• Posted

I get this too, scares me as well. I am starting to think that it is yet another physical symptom of anxiety. Getting it checked out at optometrist tomorrow just in case. How are you doing? Is it getting any better?

• Posted

What did the optometrist say? Would you mind telling me what the flashes look like for you and when you see them? I'm not doing very well, my anxiety is really high.

• Posted

hi, i also get these flashes of light had my

eyes checked loads of times and they said my eyes are fine! what i have noticed is when im overly anxious then i see them with floaters, after image , cant focus properly makes me really scared where im constantly thinking about my eyes which makes my symptoms worst. i had none of this before anxiety! ove had a mri scan 2 weeks ago came back good, had full blood count to couple days ago that came back fine too. im only learning to Except its anxiety.

• Posted

What do the flashes look like for you? When do you get them? I've also noticed that I get more of them when I am more anxious

• Posted

sometimes they can look like a straight line . ive even seen squares ones when i blink ( had it all checked out they said its anxiety ) this happens when im overly stressed and think about it "/ my vision goes all werid on me and makes me panic! im so in tune with my eyes now i have to question myself if stuff are meant to look like that . im so bad with eye anxiety . never had anything like this before till anxiety hit me.

• Posted

Yes, I have been getting flashes in my peripheral vision for around 10 years, since my early 40s. I felt just as you do and saw my GP and a neurologist. Then I went to an optician. He told me it was a natural part of ageing which many people don't notice it happening. It is something to do with the jelly like substance at the back of our eyes stretching and being less supportive. I notice it most on bright sunny days but some days I seem just to fix on to it and constantly notice it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.