Flashing in eye

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, a couple of days ago i noticed a flashing in the corner of my right eye in the evening while watching tv. I didnt think much of if but ive noticed it everyday since. I suffer from terrible health anxiety and im so scared this is something serious. It doesnt happen all the time just every now and again 1-3 flashes. No change in vision or floaters. Im 34 type 2 diabetic diagnosed a year ago with an Hba1c of 56 reduced to 38 within 3 months. Had my screening at the hospital in august and was told everything was good. Routine eye test a few months ago was fine and healthy. My dad did have a retinal detachment a few years ago so as im sure you can imagine that is playing in my mind, though he had had floaters for many years and recent caterach surgery when it happened.

My eye feels very dry and sore but im sure thats just me being super aware if it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Edited

Hi Bakebeans

I had flashing in my eye about 5 months ago. I rang for advice and I was asked to go to the eye hospital the next day to have it checked out.

I was also very worried about my sight.

Thankfully the retina was fine and they explained the problem was a PVD (Posterial Vitreous Detachment)

The flashes were being caused by the Vitreous Gel in my eye breaking down (which is very common especially as we get older) They said it should settle, but may take a few months.

The flashes have now gone completely and my eyesight is fine. I

would have yours checked out though.

If there is a problem with the retina (which is quite rare) they can sort it out for you immediately.

Please keep us posted as to how you get on. I hope you get some peace of mind soon.

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words and taking the time to reply to me. Im going to see if i can speak to my gp today about it but im not sure how the clinics are working at the moment. This morning ive not noticed it since ive been out to do the food shop, its only somthing i notice when i relax or think about it. Having anxiety makes me doubt myself and i really dont want to waste any ones time.

can i ask was yours constant or every now and again?

• Edited

You're very welcome. I know the people here are a huge support to me. It's great when we can help each other.

It would be a good idea to speak to your doctor, optician or 111 ( in the UK)

I spoke to my optician but he sent me to our local eye hospital as he said he didn't have the right equipment for that type of problem.

The flashing I had was every time I moved my head suddenly. It was ok if I sat perfectly still.

It actually began on Boxing Day and I went to have it examined the next day.

Have to say the attention at the hospital was excellent. They put in eye drops then examined my eyes thoroughly.

Plenty of time for me to ask questions too.

When I left I was given a really useful leaflet about PVD and was told I could ring the eye hospital any time 24/7.

I hope you can see someone soon as I found the matter was on my mind all day long.

• Posted

thank you again for the reply. I cant get hold of my gp at the moment i will try again later. Mine only seems to happen when my head is still. You are right about it playing on your mind ive been up since 3am worrying about it. Just wish the opticians were open so i could at least ring them im worried if i call 111 they will send me to the eye hospital my dad was sent to and they didnt treat him very well. Nhs website says its quite common and aslong as theres no bleeds, blurred vision or promblems with sight it should settle on its own

• Edited

I copied these for you although you've perhaps seen them already.

I think you're right - if you call 111 they will direct you to the eye hospital. Where I live there are two though, about 15 miles apart.

Maybe there is more than one in your area? ( So you don't have to go to the one your father disliked?)

If there is, you can call them direct and they will probably ask you to go there.

You could even go directly to their casualty department.

Hope you can come to a decision soon as it's causing you such a lot of worry.

P.S If you call your optician they will be closed but they may have an emergency number you can ring for advice.

• Posted

wow thank you again. That is the page that i read and im reasoning with myself ( my gp said i should do this so i dont jump to the wrong conclusions) that is says they are bot usually serious if they arent getting worse and eye sight isnt effected. Ive not noticed them too much today so ill see how it goes tonight and call my gp first thing tomorrow if needed. Im sure that the first hospital my dad went to made everything worse then they sent him to another an hour away for surgery so i really would like to avoid that if possible

• Posted

It's great you haven't noticed them much today. I hope you can get some rest tonight as worry can be quite tiring.

Please keep us posted if you can and hopefully it will start to settle down.

• Posted

Hi there,

I am 34 and a type 2 diabetic for quite some time now. Had several procedures done to my eyes already.

Aside from trying to see your eye doctor and asking for a retina examination, I suggest that you lower your HbA1c gradually. When I was diagnosed my Hba1c was 11% and was able to bring it down to 6% in 2 months. Some studies would suggest that this isn't a smart thing to do since your body will have a hard time adjusting to your normal sugar levels. Having a huge jump in your HbA1c could worsen the complications temporarily. Though it will be beneficial to have our sugar levels under control, it would be better to achieve it in a slow gradual pace.

Praying that the flashes are nothing serious and I know how you feel. Our condition does a lot of stuff that would always make us worry but as my eye doctor always says, controlling our sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol will go a long way in protecting our vision.

All the best.

• Posted

Hi there,

I am 34 and a type 2 diabetic for quite some time now. Had several procedures done to my eyes already.

Aside from trying to see your eye doctor and asking for a retina examination, I suggest that you lower your HbA1c gradually. When I was diagnosed my Hba1c was 11% and was able to bring it down to 6% in 2 months. Some studies would suggest that this isn't a smart thing to do since your body will have a hard time adjusting to your normal sugar levels. Having a huge jump in your HbA1c could worsen the complications temporarily. Though it will be beneficial to have our sugar levels under control, it would be better to achieve it in a slow gradual pace.

Praying that the flashes are nothing serious and I know how you feel. Our condition does a lot of stuff that would always make us worry but as my eye doctor always says, controlling our sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol will go a long way in protecting our vision.

All the best.

• Edited

Thank you for the replies. I managed to sleep for a whole 11 hours last night which i thibk has really helped me. Today im feeling more positive ive not noticed any flashes so far so hope they have settled or at least have began to. Yesterday it felt like i spend my whole day looking and waiting for them, it was exhausting.

Matt its interesting you say about bringing your HBA1C down slowly someone else has mentioned to me it was better that way after mine had dropped nearly 20 points in 2 months. Both my retinal imaging at the hospital and my eye test were after my second HBA1C and both people told me my eyes were healthy so i hope that means things are ok.

Having health anxiety is rubbish i always imagine the worse but having diabetes also means i always point everything to that, i pulled a muscle recently and put it down to nerve damage for the first few weeks before my dr put me right!

Thank you again for the support here it really did help me yesterday.

• Posted

Ive decided today that i should contact the opticians just for some advice, its daft to sit here worrying myself silly when speaking to someone will hopefully give me more information and make me feel better

• Posted

I have the exact same symptoms as you. My symptoms started a couple of days ago, with black flashes in the peripheral of my right eye. My eye does feel a bit dry, and I kind of feel like a pressure behind it. I also have health anxiety and am very worried. Any updates??

• Posted

Hi i saw the optician who said the gel inside my eye is pulling away from the retina and he found a small bleed. im just waiting to hear back from the hospital to see if they want to laser the bleed or if they are happy to leave it. Ive not heard anything in a week so not sure if thats a good sign or not.

please go and get your eyes checked its not worth ignoring

• Edited

If it's a retinal detachment, that gets seen within 24 hours as an emergency. Emergency patients are still being seen within eye departments.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.