Flashing Light in Eyes

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I've had anxiety, chest pains, all kinds of weird stuff happen lately. The last couple weeks I've been having flashes in my eyes especially when the light is dim. I went to an optometrist and he didn't see anything wrong with my peripheral vision and he dialated my eyes and looked for intracranial pressure but he didn't find signs of anything. I went to the neurologist because I have headaches as well and he said I have migraines and the flash is in my eyes. He doesn't think it's anything to worry about. He did t order an MRI and I think I should have one. Has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Kim

I get the same when in a darkened room I understand it is quite normal it is the electrical impulses from brain to back of the eye. I get coloured rings sometimes when I close my eyes to sleep it does not happen all the time just now and then

I changed my Opticion two years ago and I told them about floaters and flashes on the eye lid I had all the tests and I was fine.

Get your eyes checked if worried, in the UK it is now every two years.

BOB

• Posted

Yes I had them checked but it doesn't help the worry. Especially since I Google everything.

• Posted

Yes yes I have had all kinds of weird vision problems for the past 7 months. I've seen an opthamologist and neurologist had every test you can think of and no answer. They first blamed it on migraines but I've had optical migraines for my whole life and this is way different so then it was diagnosed as anxiety. I don't think this is anxiety but it's easier for them to just tell me that rather than running more tests

• Posted

I definitely want the MRI I keep thinking it's a tumor and I freak out. My anxiety is off the chain lately and I am taking medicine but it doesn't keep me from making myself nuts.

• Posted

You definitely should have the MRI it's very important to make sure you don't have a tumor or anything else going on. If it comes back clear most likely they'll blame it on migraines or anxiety ... it's kinda universal that they throw that at you after an mri.

• Posted

The neurologist doesn't seem to want to give me one but I'm still pushing for it. If he won't do it I will go to my GP and see if she can refer me for one.

• Posted

Unbelievable!!!! I'm not a doctor but you'd think with those symptoms they'd immediately do an MRI

• Posted

as long as you had your eyes examined it sounds like the flashes are from migraines.

I had flashes but it was from a little tear in my retina in the back of my eye.  Easy fix. 

• Posted

Did your optometrist find it or opthalmologist?
  • Posted

hi, i know it was while ago but i was wondering if you got the Mri? im suffring from the same symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.