Flashing sight with squared edge monofocal iols

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello! I had cataract surgery many months ago with an acrylic multifocal iol but it didn't work due to unbearable and multiple dysphotopsias that never diminished over the time. The multifocal had squared edges. It's important to specify this because 2 weeks ago the multifocal lens was removed and it was placed an acrylic monofocal that solved almost all my glare and halos problems and also improved my sight but the flashing issues is still there annoying as ever and it is without doubt related to the squared edge because I don't have any other explanation.

Lighting must hit the lens' edge peripherally (between 90 to 60 degrees), usually from the side but it works also from above. The reflection hits the edge producing internal reflections and with every micro eye movement you can see your sight flashing, flickering. If you keep your eye absolutely steady, no flashes at all. 

I'm gonna my surgeon to do the second eye using a monofocal silicone iol, with rounded edge (one rounded edge, usually the posterior) to see if it can ameliorate the issue. 

Someone went through this?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I have a 3-piece B&L Sofport L161AO monofocal lens that is made of silicone and has a 360 degree square edge. The square edge is supposed to help avoid PCO. I have absolutely no flashing or other annoying artifacts.

• Posted

Thank you! Maybe because your lens is made of silicone which has a lower refractive index? Probably it depends on eye size, space between iris and lens too.

I'm experiencing a very annoying flashing, probably from the peripheral area and irradiating through the entire lens to the retina. It doesn't happen outside in bright sunlight or in places where the light is homogeneous but rather in places where light comes strongly from side or above (sunlight from windows). 

• Posted

If you google the name of my lens, you'll see several articles about it (which is what I did after I found out which lens I was getting).

• Posted

Lin59, how is your vision with sofport lens?  My doctor wants to do an exchange because I have dysphotopsia and suggested the sofport.  Has it avoided PCO so far?  How long have you had it for? I am curious as to why your doctor suggested a silicone lens.  Was you lens set for distance? Do you have any close vision?  Sorry for all the questions but I have not found anyone else on this forum that has this lens.  Looking forward to hearing positive things about this lens. thanks.
    • Posted

Please ignore my last post to you. My questions were for lin59.  Sorry.
    • Posted

Hi, this is Lin59 I had to make another account because there was something wrong with my old account. I also wrote you a private message. I can see perfectly at all distances without glasses, except for tiny closeup print and extensive closeup reading and for that I use +1.25 drugstore readers. My IOLs were both set for distance. My doctor uses that lens for everyone who gets monofocal IOLs, but in my opinion from what I have read, all monofocal IOLs are basically the same and give the same result as I got.

What lens do you have now?

• Posted

And I don't have any dysphotopsias. I guess the acrylic IOLs are more likely to cause them, but I think they're still pretty uncommon in general. I'm sure they're very annoying though.

• Posted

How is your vision in fluorescent lighting?
    • Posted

It's fine - I will chat more with you in private messaging.

• Posted

Hi Adlibi. My doctor suggested I do an exchange for the sofport IOL to get rid of the dysphotopsia.  I am a little nervous about exchanging to a silicone lens. How long have you had this lens?  I know it’s been around for awhile but I have not read about any people having it on any of these forums.  I was wondering why your doctor suggested it.  Thanks for any positive things you can say about this lens.
    • Posted

Same disaster, new dysphotopsia and same side flickering. Don't think silicone improves the symptoms over acrylic. 

• Posted

Are you saying that you replaced the acrylic with silicone and you have the same problem? Which brand IOL did you get?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.