Flat foot surgery return to work?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Thanks in advance for your stories and advice!

Long story short Feb 8th I had surgery to remove an accessory navicular bone, reposition of a tendon attached to that bone, Calcaneal osteotomy (break and reposition my heel for flat feet) and gastrocnemius lengthening (calf muscle)

I was in a surgical splint for two weeks, moved into a fiberglass cast and return 3/23 to move into a walking boot and begin partial weight bearing and Physical therapy.

Prior to surgery i was told 6 weeks non weight bearing so i requested 6 weeks off of work. However a week and a half away from 6 weeks and I dont feel healed at all. 6 weeks of NWB and elevating and my foot still swells so much the cast feels like its going to explode and my toes turn red/purple. I have nerve pain on the entire right side of my foot from pinky to ankle and my heel is in a constant state of throbbing. I am elevating most of the day and even at this point i still have throbbing, tingling and numbness.

Overall I cannot imagine returning to work in a week and keeping my foot down for 9 hours a day. Even if I am given "light work" where i am at a desk all day, im not even comfortable in my own bed feeling this way. It is also my right foot so I would be relying on family for rides.

My general question is am I being a baby and should just power through the discomfort and try to return to work? Were you healed enough by 6 weeks to return to a sense of a normal life? Should I feel I have the right to request for more time off until i'm comfortable again?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.