Flat stools at age 28

Posted , 26 users are following.

Hello!

I am super worried. I am 28 years old and have always struggled with my weight. I had lost quite a bit through eating vegan only to put it back on when I stopped being vegan about two years ago.

In January I decided to go vegan again after eating a terrible diet (fried foods, pizza, bagels, etc). I was healthy- consuming a diet rich in fruits and veggies and beans and nuts- but then I went on vacation and it threw me off. I was also working overtime for a while which left me with little time and motivation to meal prep and so I slipped to old habits. However, I have been back to eating high fiber fresh produce and plant based proteins and fats for the past month.

Though I can't precisely pinpoint when my symptoms began, I know it was several months ago (February of this year?). I noticed one day my stool was quite wide but flat- almost paper thin. I thought this was odd and asked my mother what that meant. She is a nurse. She replied "it could mean there is obstruction." When I proceeded to tell her I was asking about myself and when I started to panic she wrote it off saying that BMs can come in different shapes and consistencies depending on diet. She said I am too young for colon cancer (which is what I jumped to after some quick research) and have no family history of it.

I noticed flat stool from then on after almost every BM. Sometimes it would be long and flat, sometimes small little flat pieces. I also occasionally have long and thin stools. On occasion I would have a normal BM. When I was eating really healthy, high fiber, it would be mostly unformed. The color varies and I think I noticed it's mostly dependent on diet- when I eat more smoothies and higher fiber it's darker brown and looser. I also often notice undigested foods in it. When I eat lower fiber it's more firm and light in color.

Most mornings I have a BM upon waking then typically again after I eat. However, there are days when I will be on the toilet all morning because I have to go again. This doesn't ever happen beyond the AM. Though on these days I can go 5-6 times in the AM alone and then another few times during the day/night. I attributed this to adjusting to high fiber diet as over the past month I have been eating primarily veggies and fruits during the day. However the morning flare ups seem random. I was thinking of tracking my food more precisely and noting when they happen to look for potential patterns.

I do not have blood. I maybe saw light red blood on the toilet paper 2x in the past several months. I also do not think I am bloated.

I do occasionally have a hard time pushing it out and am left feeling like I have an incomplete BM and it causes mild cramps in lower abdomen. However I rarely have pain or cramps otherwise. I've also noticed more flatulence but not to the point where I cannot control it and it causes me public embarrassment, ha.

About a month ago, I had intense sharp pain on my anus to the point that moving and walking felt almost impossible. I made an appt with a GI doctor but they couldn't get me in for 2 months. My primary doctor did not see me but said it was likely hemmerhoids and would go away on its own. It felt like a soft lump and I was in so much pain I had my mother look at it. She told me it was a cyst with certainty. I have gotten cysts in strange places before but because of my other symptoms I panicked for a few days. However after a BM I wiped and it burst- sorry for the image! there was a lot of blood and I did my best to clean it and I put a big hospital bandage over the area (it did not cover my anus. The cyst was located beside it- not coming out of the anus). The pain was immediately gone- so I assume it is not related but worth a mention.

I have no history of colon cancer but after reading online for months and panicking, I am worried that doesn't matter. The only risk factor I have is being overweight, which I have been actively working on losing weight.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I am unable to sleep because I'm so anxious and I still have 3.5 weeks before my GI appointment and another week before I meet with my primary care doctor for a physical where I will tell him my symptoms.

Thank you!

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Stools really do come in all shapes and sizes and also consistency.    Your mum is right about this. Diet change can influence this.  Try the food diary and do not worry!  Do not google symptoms; this willl cause anxiety.  There is a condition called IBS which causes the symptoms you describe,  Flat stools is one of them.  Phone your doctor and explain your worries and ask for a cancellation appointment.  Say you can no longer wait because of your anxiety.
  • Posted

HI EVERYONE.

i am 27 years old 246lb.

i been expriencing blood in stool for 2 years now,my stool is flat shape!!i am very scared i may have colon cANCER

• Posted

Rose tell us what was the result of this? Personally I have flat stools for 2 years

• Posted

As you have noticed yourself, your stools have changed in response to adjusting your diet. There seems to be a pattern here. Diet change does cause stool changes. I would stick to one type of diet to let your bowel get used to it.Try not to strain when passing stools because that can cause haemorrhoids which you have experienced. I think you are overthinking and stressing too much about your symptoms. Worrying can upset your gut and make symptoms worse. Don't google symptoms; that also causes panic. Stools do come in all shapes, sizes and consistencies.

• Posted

hi im rob im 33 i to have flat stool in december i was passing lots of blood for a few day but it went away ive been experiencing stomach pain for yrs now i had a colonoscopy about 5 or 6 yrs ago and they said that i was fine it was just ibs but that my colon was dirty then over the last couple yrs the flat stool started my doctor kept telling me it was nothing so i did wrry about it then the blood happend so i started researching and colon cancer kept coming up so ive started to panic when i mention it to my dr he said it cant be cause im to young when i ask jim what else it could be he saids i dont know now im wrried it is colon cancer and that i could have gotton this looked at this soonerand that my dr could have cost me my life i have a colonoscpy book for next week and no one takes me serious they just keep saying im to young even though i know a few young pple to have either polyps they had removed or bowel cancer im really scared my mother has server stomach problem but said shes never had polyps or cancer but im not sure do to the fact shes always been a compulsive liarer

• Posted

Your doctor is right! colon cancer is rare when you are young. You have said you know 'a few' young people with polyps or bowel cancer. The word 'few' indicates that these incidences are rare . Don't listen to scare stories or google symptoms because it will cause you to panic.Google only gives general information and doesn't take account of individual,experiences. Only listen to your doctor who is taking you seriously by trying to reassure you and has booked you in for a colonoscopy. The fact that your doctor is doing both these things means that he is listening to your concerns. If he were fobbing you off, he would not be sending you for further investigations . Flat stools and bleeding can happen with IBS if you have haemorrhoids or fissures. The blood tends to be bright red.Abdominal pain is a major symptom of IBS.

• Posted

he said it was hemroids at first treated me for it and ive had more than one dr tell me that cant feel any hemroids

• Posted

Flat stools can occur with IBS but can occur in other situations so best to check with a Dr or Gastro Consultant. Not impressed with your mother as a nurse A) suggesting you are too young for cancer. Bowel cancer is actually now most common in younger people and B) saying "you could have a bowel obstruction" - no as you would be in excruciating pain, vomiting, have abdominal rigidity and distension and would be an emergency situation. As a nurse she should have better knowledge then this and this is pretty poor.

• Posted

hello all i've some good news for some of you out there who are struggle with chronic constipation with your symptoms somehow overlapping the features of ibs constipation im a young budding doctor and i have myself been suffering from constipation with no known cause symptoms more or less similar to ibs constipation.First of all make sure to rule out primary ibs by your consulting doctor.Now here I go I will give you simple easy first in the world perhaps to have cured myself and wish to help all you young guys struggling out there(old men and women above 50 years of age plz strictly dont follow my treatment regimen because this medication can have severe adverse affects)

your diagnosis could be slow transit constipation which most doctors miss out.

so here we go try this for exact 9 days should your symptoms resolve or feel better talk to your doctor for furthur action plans) if your symptoms dont improve stop the treatment.

tablet pyridostigmine 30mg(break it into 2 halves) 3 times a day x 9 days

tablet prucalopride 2mg before bedtime x 2 weeks

low fiber diet

more of veggies and fruits

and see the change

hope this helps

your dr 😃

tc goodluck

• Posted

flat stools can just be due to your slow peristaltic bowel movements with some amount of functional obstruction in pelvic floor muscles doesnt mean you have cancer or ibs

• Posted

do not panic , I had very worrying symptoms for 13 months and I was going back to GP at least 6 times till they finally gave me a colonoscopy, my bowels are healthy! I have diarrhoe or loose stools 90% of time in the last year, I had blood when I wipe , itching. I also never have normal stools it is in weird shape thin broken, small , flat etc. You need to ask them to refer you and test you for you to calm down and stop worrying.

• Posted

Hi Hul76915 I hv been going through same symptoms...Sir can you provide your gmail address..I want to talk to you...please sir...i am so depressed and anxious..

• Posted

i am having very similar symptoms at age 22. had ice cream one day in december, then had diarrhea in thirty minutes. usually never happens. then for the next six days, i always had the urge to poop, and sometimes would only pass mucus. but i would always pass either mucus, poop, or both. then that five times a day stuff completely stopped, and i only go 0-2 times which is regular. the mucus is taking longer but also fading away. the only consistent thing is flat poops, but if i eat fiber/probiotics, they look bulkier but will still have some flats. i went to doctor and he tried to say it was something viral, and was very dismissive. parents tell me quit freaking out but this is all so new to me.

• Posted

I just wanted to say thank you for posting your symptoms. I'm having many similar symptoms, and honestly thought I was imagining things. I'm a vegetarian so never really sure if this is a contributing factor, but had worsening of symptoms today. Seeing your post made me realize I should reach out to see a GI doc, and move forward with assessment/treatment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.