Flatulence....any one else.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I  suffer quite badly with wind and bloating, I think it is associated with diverticulosis....anyone else suffer and what do you suggest to ease the condition. I am avoiding any spicey food ,I do have the odd vodka and lemonade or coke, now I am thinking it is the fizzy drink which causes the wind. Fed up of feeling uncomfortable. Thanks Margaret

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I suffers badly with bloated tummy, it is so uncomfortable, in the morning when i get up its not too bad but over the day and night it expands so I look pregnant, and i get terrible wind. I have started using buscopan which does help, but it still bloats. I hope you start to feel better soon
  • Posted

I do not have this condition yet Very new to diverticulitis only 10 weeks but after seeing my Gasomytris last week she wants me to slowly and my usual food back into diet But she said absolutely no soda or carbonated drinks water and juice only Good luck
  • Posted

I had that problem until I realized it was my diet. Fruit, with dairy will cause it, as will cabbage and other like veggies.
  • Posted

Ive had diverticulitis for 10months now ,yes ive had horrendous wind, and bloating, i only have one drink of fizzy once a wek only were we go that,s all they serve, mostly i drink water and lots of it, i find that veg is the worst any type of green veg is worse even when blitzed, not healthy i know, i use a warm pad and take buscopan, bad day,s, try keeping a food dairy, horrible disease this is, no help from gp or dietician, plenty of help on here thats keeped me sane good luck
  • Posted

No of any of these things:

Fried foods (eat only white meat,baked/broiled/boiled) red meat is too hard to digest.

Fresh vegetables and fruits  (canned only) green beans, carrots and potatoes  (no skin)

Absolutely no lettuce of any kind.  Too hard to digest. 

No wheat bread, only white.

No gassy veggies 

No spicey foods 

I had no problems with dairy but some people do.

Try drinking ginger tea. Very good for the stomach. Please don't let this go on because each attack causes more harm to your colon. Try to find a liquid multi vitamins because your body needs the vitamins, nutrients and minerals to keep your immune system up. I used to drink ginger ale but not very much, just a few swigs. ABSOLUTELY no alcohol. I've found a great fizzy bottled water at walmart different flavors which a few swigs satisfied my craving.  Good luck and take care. 

• Posted

Thanks everyone,I do eat quite a bit of fruit as I find this keeps my bowels moving. I tend to get constipated when my diverticulitis is playing up so try to eat foods which help clearing my system. I will try some ginger tea for the wind. I am trying to cut down on certain foods any spicy food and "windy" vegetables. This disease nearly takes over your life. Grrr

Margaret

• Posted

Hi b careful with the ginger tea try in small amount my daughter has been online as often as possible trying to help me she brought me ginger tea last Sunday I only drank a half of cup and it about floored me I will not drink it again What works for others may not work for you Good luck and I agree this disease has caused me to have no quality of life In bed again instead of doing the things I love
  • Posted

Diverticulitis is no fun and depending on the severity can and will take over your life.  You find yourself with so many limitations including going to restaurants.  Don't hesitate to ask questions about the ingredients.  I lived with it for 18 months, almost died 3 times simply because of the area and multiple pockets, scar tissue which also caused blockage. Did end up getting sigmoid colectomy surgery  (going on 6 weeks ) & feel so much better.  In my case it literally saved my life. Be extremely careful of what you eat and remember that everyone is different and what may work for another may not work for you. I had a colonoscopy which showed 3 pockets, 1 inflamed.  Those 3 multiplied in less than 15 months.

• Posted

Did those show up on Cat Scan, and blood work, and stool samples? Or just colonoscopy? 
    • Posted

Originally 3 showed up on my colonoscopy,  1 inflamed.  I had 14+ ER visits, multiple CT scans all confirmed I was in the throes of a attack. The multiple, condensed pockets & scar tissue blockage wasn't discovered until my surgery. Because of my insurance they refused another colonoscopy saying it wasn't necessary. If they had done it all would have been revealed. If I hadn't stood my ground demanding a referral for surgery from my doctor I would have been dead by now.

• Posted

I was first diagnosed with acute Diverticulitis July 2016, had my colonoscopy November 2016. From July to November I had 4 attacks.  The doctors did blood work,  CT scans all confirming I was going through attacks. It got to the point where I was constantly on flagyl and cipro.  But again.....insurance. 
    • Posted

So scary, I’m not having a flare up according to my Cat Scan and blood work, have had 2 of each done in 2weeks. All normal. I see my new GI on Fri for consult and to schedule colonoscopy, still waiting on my stool labs for Candida, IBS, Leaky Gut, or parasites. My Dr put me on the Candida diet till we get all tests back. I just did my 2day liquid diet and see dietitian today. So frustrating I have now lost 36 lbs cince Jan 2018. And been off work cince Feb. This diseases is so scary and I am very nervous bout the colonoscopy. But if I have to have surgery I’ll take it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.