Flecainide ... does it affect liver and kidneys

Posted , 3 users are following.

Recently my blood tests identified liver and kidney disease ... there is no other possible cause than drugs that I have taken for AF.  As a consequence, I have altered my diet considerably, but read today in a posting that bananas (potassium) are contra-indicated for damaged livers. So they will be out of my diet for the foreseeable future.   I already drink over 3 pints of water daily for the kidneys. No other juices & no tea/coffee or alcohol. Has anyone got any other useful tips ?  The EP has suggested another ablation but I am not keen as the contrast dye is also - as far as I know - damaging to the liver.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

No tips but much sympathy.    I have AF and a dodgy liver.   I take Flecanide but will soon be off it.  Hopefully.   I have recently had a 2nd AF ablation after which I was really unwell for 5 weeks especiall in the liver area.   Interesting.     When I come of the flecanide I may know better how that affected me.   However in the meantime  I am still unwell and have other scans with contrast dye's and MRI's etc.    None of which are doing me any good but at which point do I say NO   - No more because at the same time I am so unwell.   Difficult.   In the meantime I have drunk no alcohol for years - don't drink coffee.   I am gluten and wheat free, have many other intolerances including have to be careful with dairy.  No eggs etc etc.    The there is the advise on the foodmap diet  which has helped but more restrictions and then there is the advise from the Blood Group diets which makes sense but more advise.   So giving a simple example no apples, pears or bananas putting all together.   My system kicks off even when I drink water ...............so good luck with your quest is all I can say  - I cannot work it all out but its good that we keep trying.      It all comes down to whether overall the Ablation will be beneficial.

• Posted

Was pleased to see your posting, every little bit adds more to the general picture. It's fairly complicated:  what's recommended for one part of the body is contra-indicated for another part.  The latest amusing (if you can call it amusing) snippet I heard on the radio yesterday:  that drinking lots of water can raise your blood pressure ! That was a new one for me, especially as I'd also recently heard that medications taken with water get to body extremities more quickly (reminiscent of the famous Heiniken ad of many years ago). I'm buying an ECG recorder (that is, I hope it will be delivered tomorrow) .... something more to work on !

• Posted

I have found using a BP and pulse monitor very handy for my AF.   I can tell instantly when I go into AF and when it stops bt the monitor is a good tool to confirm  the situation.     I guess with the diet if we all have the biggest variety of food we can and not stick to the same favourites which may be overloading us that is the best advise.     Good luck with your quest to try and help yourself out. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.