Flecainide - mood disorders, memory problems, depression?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'd be very interested if anyone has experienced any of the above from Flecainide. My son's been on it for several years and his behaviour is very out-of-character - I connect it to the period when they increased his dose to 200mg twice daily, which is quite a high dose. They say he is young and his liver is metabolising it very efficiently which is why he needs such a high dose. He is very depressed and has short term memory issues forgetting to lock doors and other important things. He's 20, has had AF since he was 5 (very rare in a child) and has been through a lot. As always, docs don't want to listen when I suggest drugs might be an issue. We've tried everything and all they want to do is stick him on antidepressants (he's also on warfarin and Nebivolol - don't want him to take anything else.) Any other side effects out there? Thank you

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Your's is a sad story, Alinora.  I can't believe no one has replied to it!

Flecainide is notorious for causing memory loss and more.  (Just look on Google, or - better - PubMed.)   Show the info to your doctor.  Or else find another doctor!

Best wishes to you and your son.

• Posted

Thank you. I will look further. Had done a basic search but come up with very little. Time to make some progress!
  • Posted

Did you find any helpful data to share with your doctor?
  • Posted

I feel more irritable since I have been taking this drug

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.