Flecainide-possible affects scare me

Posted , 10 users are following.

I was found to have PAF when undergoing a pre op test for a hernia repair in January 2013, i have no symptoms so am unaware when this is happening (not sure if this is good or bad), i have had high blood pressure for many years but this is very well controlled, I am on rivaroxoban (blood thinner) and take Tildiam along with my blood pressure medication it was hoped the Tildiam would control the PAF but this has not been successful, i am due to undergo a hip replacement and failed the pre op twice with a heart rate of 180 the first time and 150 the second i have now been put on Flecainide but have not taken any yet because the possible side affects scare the life out of me, is anyone on this drug and can you tell me if you have been affected in any adverse way. 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

i have been using it quite happily for a while now... so far so good... in fact i rely on it...
  • Posted

Hi Dianne

17 months now on Flecainide and no problems whatsoever.

Like Andrew, I too depend upon it..... I've finally got my life back.

• Posted

Hi...I was diagnosed with PAF in Dec 2011.  I have been Taking max dose of Flecainide since. Not had an episode since Jan 2013 and no side effects!
  • Posted

Hello diannec

I've been taking flecainide for about 10 years no side effects at all nothing bad that is try not to be afraid if your heart beat as fast as you say you need to take it

• Posted

Hi Dianne,

I was diagnosed with Afib and a few other odd heart beats. The first anti-arrhythmic drug the cardiologist suggested was Flecainide. It caused vertigo like symptoms for me at the medium level dose, but completely stopped the afib. I cut the dose in half and the vertigo went away, but the afib came back. After 3 weeks of varying doses with no luck I stopped Flec and tried Rythmol. No symptoms and no afib. Some people swear by Flec and say it works well for them. I wouldn't worry too much about symptoms. If you get them, just reduce the dosage after speaking with doc and worse case scenario get off the flec and try something g different.

• Posted

Hi Diannec

I too read the side effects listed on Flecainide, and after 6 months of misery on Bisoprolol was not optimistic or enthusiastic about the drug and felt that the cure must be worse than the disease. Everyone is different and everybody needs to be aware of the side effects of any drug, even coffee!  However I found that Flecainide for me has been great, but would be interested to follow this string and find out what other people think, especially the advice I was given that for AF it had to be taken with a small dose of Cardicor...

Good luck with the treatment : have you been referred to a Cardiologist?

• Posted

Sorry not been following the thread I started ... So an update...I am taking the flecanide and other than very mild vertigo from time to time it seems fine, in answer to an earlier reply yes my heart can at time reach 180 and has on one occasion topped 200 but as I said I don't have any symptoms and this has only been picked up at pre op checks for other conditions.

In the meantime I eventually had my total hip replacement but was unable to have the spinal block as is normal procedure now, due to the AF and had to have a GA instead the reason is that an episode of AF can cause blood pressure to drop as does a spinal block and hip surgery, the anethasist said if I had an episode while I was undergoing surgery there was nothing she could do other than watch me struggle and hope I ce through.. Not much of a choice really hence the GA.. Still thinking about the ablation maybe next year want to fully recover fr tje hip surgery first

• Posted

Interested to hear these comments : I'm on 50mg Flecainide morning and evenings + 1.25mg Bisoprolol with the morning dose. My cardiologist told me it was VERY DANGEROUS (!) to take the Flecainide without the bisoprolol. I raised this with my pharmacist as well and she made no comment, but I'm definitely going to ask my Cardiologist at the next appointment whether and why I still have to take the Bisoprolol.

I guess it depends on one's condition and diagnosis but I find this topic intriguing and would welcome everyone's views on it.

• Posted

I don't take bisoprolo, I take one 50g flecanide twice a day, tilldiam twice daily along with irbastartn and bendraflurazide once a day but I also take one riveraxaban per day ( women witj AF have a higher risk of stroke than men)
  • Posted

Hi, I've been on Flecainude for 3 months. The only side affect that I experience is tiredness. I walk slower than I usually would, and I always wish I could sleep. It does help to control my flutter though. They started me on this med while I was in the hospital to see if I had any bad reactions, but nothing else manifested its-self. Everyone is different, and this is a very strong medicine. If you are not being monitored when you start it, perhaps you should start it when you will be around people you know, who also know you are taking the drug.
  • Posted

Hi diannec, I was diagnosed with PAF in January having experienced months, years of troublesome heart races/palpitations, dizziness and extreme fatigue. I was quite relieved to have a diagnosis. However the next step was to manage the short bursts. I only go into AF now and then. I was originally prescribed Diltiazem which was horrendous for me as it brought my normal HR down to around the 40 mark, I nearly passed out on numerous occasions.

My Consultant then discussed the 'PIP' approach, pill in the pocket and prescribed Flecanide. Absolutely amazing! I only take it when I'm having a real bad spell, the only side affect I have is that the tablet can make me feel absolutely wiped out so if I am at work I have to go home but its rare. My last episode was in June, I was on holiday but I actually felt my heart revert. Not everyone gets all the side affects stated, I don't. Good luck smile

• Posted

THanks my original post was several months ago and I have been taking fiecamide since then but I also take ddiltaiziam as well I need two of each per day along witj riveroxibane my bro lol is, that I am virtually a symptomatic and very rarely am I aware of my PAF so tje pill in the pocket would not work for me even when I was raced to resuss during a pre op check when it was firs noticed with a heart rate between 180-200 I had no sptoms ( was planning to return to work)
  • Posted

Hi. I had actually put a phone call in to my Dr. this morning about this...hence the reason I was looking up side effects. I recently just had a cardiac ablation, and was in Afib again right after. My Dr. upped my dose of Flecainide..My vision was so bad yesterday...along with the dizziness..I was running into walls. It was awful..I told the nurse that it was since her raised my dose, although the eye thing ( can't focus) was there as soon as I started it) the fatigue is also bad. No energy. I need off of this stuff. .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.