Flem

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does anyone when eating cough up flem then cant eat anymore 

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

No, I dont, and didn't before surgery. Presumably you do? Will be interesting to know if others do. Though we all suffer in similar ways, there are also differences.
    • Posted

good luck any good news is good don't forget us if you are cured let us know the best ways we can help ourselves 
    • Posted

My surgery was a success, I can now eat, but I only found this forum after surgery. I'll never be cured of Achalasia, and will always have some difficulties....now I have found you all I'm not going anywhere!!
    • Posted

Glad you are ok and moving on but have time for us also must say felt better having coughed up flem 
    • Posted

Having gone through such a difficult time before surgery,feeling quite alone at times, I know how important this community is. I wish I had found it a while ago!

It's good you now feel better, though it must be unpleasant having to cough phlegm up to feel better.

Do you have Achalasia? Or another swallowing condition?

• Posted

Don't know yet having that barium  swallow test in the next month but had bowel problem for years 
    • Posted

Barium swallow is OK. I hope you get answers soon.

Where in the world are you? I'm in the UK.

• Posted

Hi Ann

I usually get this when food gets stuck , I think its the body;s reaction to the food being stuck and it produces lots of saliva to try and help it slide down not realising that there is no where for this to go rather than back up , my eyes water and my nose runs as well . (I know - pleasant lol )  My flem is white and frothy . I hope you find relief soon , I am waiting for manometry , find that standing up to eat and drinking large quantities of warm milk and water helps to get food down most of the time but very much stick to soft sloppy food and then only when I am at home. Tend to stick to liquid meals replacments duing the day at work as altough still need to stand up they are less likely to make a return visit accompanied by the dreaded flem . hope you are ok and this helps , these forums and the facebook pages really help me a lot to help me feel I am not alone .

• Posted

I obviously don't know how much you know about the manometry, but the best advice I could give is this: practise NOT swallowing - I read up in it and practice really helped, I was told I was very good at it!! I wish you well.
    • Posted

Thanks for the tip . Where did you find the info? I last had this done almost 4 years ago and it was awful and I was terrible at it to the point they almost gave up . I am dreading it so any help would be fantastic . I remember desperately trying to swallow with no luck at all but no one said otherwise !
    • Posted

I watched you tube videos of people having it, realised how hard not swallowing would be.

I also found a spot on the ceiling and concentrated on that, the effort of finding the exact same spot took my mind of wanting tobswallow at the wrong time.

Not easy. I feel for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.