Flexi Sigmoidoscopy results help

Posted , 1 user is following.

HI, im new here and would just like some advice. husband went for flexi sig a week ago (rectal bleeding) had this for years as he has a history of piles. anyway not been to doctor in a while and went for something non related and mention the bleeding and discomfort so doctor did usual check of tummy and prostrate said could feel anything and more than like the bleeding is from piles. but just to make sure would send him for flexi sig.

went for this and consultant and report says

the scope was inserted via anus to proximal sigmoid

DIAGNOSIS

? proctitis in last 5cm of rectum

ADVICE/COMMENTS

patient had vasovagal episode with scope in sigmoid colon. procedure abandoned. i suspect he may have very limited proctitis. no biopsie taken. repeat procedure.

FOLLOW UP

sigmoidoscopy in 2 weeks.

He did pass out during procedure. husband came round and was ok asked consult about procedure and said well is every ok? yes nothing to worry about. suspected proctitis . we didnt go as far up as we could have (husband said he didnt seem overconcerned about this) my husband then heard him talk to nurse and heard him say he would have liked to have got some biopsies on the way out. . my husband said biopsy?! consultant said yes but nothing to worry about. my husband said nothing? he said no, nothing. my husband saw consultant again in recovery and again my husband said all ok and again the consultant said yes nothing too worry about.

i have anxiety and have struggled the past few weeks while we were waiting for test and thought it wouldall be over last week but as they want to repeat test my mind is going into overdrive.

sorry for the babbling post and thanks for taking time to read it.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Proctitis means inflammation of the lining of the rectum. It may be be isolated, temporary inflammation related to the hemorrhoids but can also be a symptom of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) either Crohn's or ulcerative colitis (UC).

UC always involves the rectum as well as the colon and often affects the sigmoid colon first then works it's way up the descending colon across the transverse then down the ascending colon. I have ulcerative colitis and that has been the pattern of mine anyway. That is why the flexi sigmoidoscopy is the first to be done. If inflammation is found in the sigmoid colon, the patient will be called back for a full colonoscopy to determine the extent of the inflammation in the rest of the colon.

Inflammation and ulceration can be seen during the procedure but other abnormalties cannot and that's why taking biopsies is routine .

You haven't said why your husband had the vasovagal episode. Was he stressed? Blood pressure? Heart condition? The endoscopist stopped the procedure as a precaution. It doesn't sound as though he overly concerned by what he saw but wants a repeat procedure to be sure.

Try not to worry too much. It all sounds routine apart from the fainting.

• Posted

hi, thanks very much for your reply. he has fainted a couple of times before when he has been ill, stomach bug and in dentist when difficult tooth extracted. he said when camera was going round corner he felt sickly and light headed. not eating doesnt bode well for him either.

proctitis seems to be limited to first 5cm of rectum as per report. i think he went in sigmoid colon (report says camera inserted to proximal sigmoid) but no further than that? i understand that biopsies are taken as routine and also i assume in my husbands case to check what is causing the proctitis bacterial or IBD. i have major anxiety about this as i lost my dad to BC so just getting myself in a tiz.

he was on anitibioctics for 10 days for an ear infection and finished those about a week before flexi sig. re blood is bright red and his piles come out so occationally has a small bleed and sometimes just a little on toilet paper when hes been to bathroom, stings a little sometimes when he wipes. sorry if this is too much info.

I really do appreciate your reply and sorry you IBD progressed.

thank you again.

• Posted

The antibiotics may have been a factor. Did your husband mention he had been on antibiotics to the admissions nurse? Antibiotics can kill the good bacteria in the gut which would otherwise protect the rectum from infection when hemorrhoids are bleeding. Maybe there is some localised infection there which is causing the inflammation.

Bright red blood is better than dark as it suggests the bleed is from the rectum or not far along the colon.

I can understand your anxiety over bowel cancer. I would expect your husband to be exhibiting other symptoms if this were something serious. I hope the second endoscopy puts your mind at rest.

• Posted

hi thanks again for your reply. im not sure if he mentioned intibiotics to them will ask later. im hoping the second procedure is ok. like i said he didnt seem concerned about anything and told my husband when he asked if everything was ok, nothing to worry about. im better than i was before the first procedure but with having anxiety my mind goes into overdrive and i have moments of sheer panic.

anyway, thanks again for taking the time to talk.

• Posted

HI, thought i would post an update. husband had second flexi sigmoidoscopy today. this is what report said.

bowel prepersation with moviprep was inadequate.

a digital rectal exam was performed.

the scope was inserted to the proximal descending.

SITE B: RECTUM

Mucosa: patchy mild granularity

specimens: 4 x biopsy

DIAGNOSES

proctitis and very poor preperation. see pictures

ADVICE/COMMENTS

Await histology

FOLLOW UP

Awaiting pathology results. Return to the GI surgeon.

although moviprep didnt work so well he didnt seem concerned and didnt abandon procedure. im assuming because he only had previous flexi sig two weeks ago they saw it clear previously.

the doctor told my husband nothing to worry about just a little redness in rectum, biopsy results will go to doctor in around 3 weeks.

so are they checking biopsy results to see if its ulcerated proctitis or infection etc?

again, the doctor said nothing to worry about, now why cant i just except this?! Ive been in high state of anxiety for 2 months and i guess its not going to go away over night. i just need to calm down, im just so exhaugsted.

anyway thanks for letting me rant on hear again. 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.