Flexible cystoscopy experience

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi folks

I had a flexible cystoscopy last week after problems with weeing too frequently. I'm a 47 Year old man and have anxiety issues about most things in life alas, especially with medical procedures.

I want to reassure folks however there is nothing to worry about with this procedure. I was much relieved afterwards and would do it again if required with no issues.

The main challenge is actually putting on your hospital gown and not flashing your bum or other parts at everyone else as you walk through the unit. I had a nurse on hand to make sure there were no embarrassments.

The theatre had two large plasma screens and I laid down on a table. The doctor explained the procedure and a nurse watched over me for the 5 minute duration.

The scope itself looks like one big m#therf#cker to be honest, but the doctor squirts gel up your pride and joy, and you don't feel anything whatsoever as they slide it in. You can look away from the screens if you want to.

The time going past your prostate is very slightly uncomfortable but pretend you are having a pee and you will be fine. Trust me, having a filling at the dentist is much much worse and uncomfortable by a country mile.

I got the results straight away, so no anxiety there. The first time I peed afterwards stung slightly but this was very minor and again nothing as bad as going to the dentist. It then quickly disappeared.

My advice as a worrier is don't worry and do have the test done of you have been referred.

I am about to repeat the same experience with a tube down my throat and stomach. I hope they stop there with finding out ways to put tubes into me!

Hopefully this will help as info if you are worried like I was. I will cross my fingers for you and hope for the best.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I had one today and it was not bad. When I got home and tried to pee it felt as though I had full blown gonarea. Man it hurt. Finally after 10 or 25 minutes it quit hurting.

USA

• Posted

I had a ridged cystocopy and dilation 2 years ago , general anaesthetic and no problems at all . Solved my problem , no more going to the toilet many times every night , wish I had it done years ago .
  • Posted

I had this procedure done two years ago to check the status of an existing urethral stricture and in the process the doctor damaged my urethra further and gave me another stricture it ruined my life
    • Posted

Very sorry to hear about your experience. I hope they are able to do something to fix it quickly and to sort out the urethra damage.
  • Posted

So my urologist told me that I needed to have a flexible cystoscopy and that it is not painful.  He thoroughly went over the procedure.  Let me just say it was the most pain I have ever endured.  Apparently he used the instrument to force his way to dilate a parital blockage.  The nurse and the doctor had to hold me down.  Not a pleasant experiance at all.  The topical pain killer is just that, topical.  Once the instrument is inside you feel everything.  I will NEVER do this procedure again unless I am totally out.  Yes, I hear that the vast majority of men don't have this experience but since I went through it, I have had several men comment back to me that they experienced the same thing.

• Posted

Wondering why your doctor wanted to do a cystoscopy. Do you have a weak urine stream? I'm assuming you do if he had to force his way through. Did he mention anything about a stricture?

• Posted

Ouch! It sounds like an ultra painful experience. Very sorry to hear your experience. I hope they sorted out the partial blockage and that you are recovering now.
    • Posted

I hear you brother. All I was given was a valuim and it was 10 minutes later it was done. I don't know how long valuim takes to start working other than 10 minutes is not was not long enough. It hurt but I was able to handle it. I did move around some from discomfort but the real pain did not get bad until I had to pee. Still painful 4 days later but slowly getting better.

• Posted

My doctor said there was some scare tissue that was causing the weak stream.  I also had some infection and inflammation.  I guess the thing I learned is the doctor code word.  When they say you may feel some pressure, that is code for get ready.  My only purpose for posting is to let men know that there is some likely hood that you will experience some of the most extreme pain of  your life.  I also was told I was fine to drive home afterwards.  I spent about 2 hours sitting in a parking lot on the side of the freeway as I couldn't sit very well.

• Posted

I've had diabetes for 50 years and was being checked for complications. I had it on Wednesday this week and it still hurts when I have a stream. Seriously it feels like I'm shooting napalm. They said if I had any complications to call but it's slowly getting better. It still hurts but nothing like when I got home from Drs. Has any one on this forum had this issue?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.