Flexible cystoscopy (male)

Posted , 48 users are following.

I'm a 36 y/o male and underwent a flexible cystoscopy last week. Thought I'd register with this forum just to share my experience with other chaps who might be worried about the procedure.

Once you're prepped and ready to receive the cystoscope, the procedure, itself, lasts probably around 5 minutes, or so. The cystoscope is approximately the thickness of a pencil with a rounded end containing a flashing light. The first step involves disinfecting the area around the genitals... just a few dabs/wipes of antiseptic. This is followed by an injection of anaesthetic gel into the urethra (pee hole). The gel is injected from a syringe with no needle attached. The surgeon injects the gel with a fairly quick firm push on the syringe plunger and this feels weird and a bit uncomfortable (but not painful). The anaesthetic does sting slightly as it goes in, but it's not what I'd call painful, as such... just pretty uncomfortable for a few seconds.

In my case, the surgeon left no real time for the anaesthetic to 'work' and proceeded straight away. As it happens, the cystoscope was somewhat tangled-up and he spent about 30 seconds to a minute dealing with (which I was quietly thankful for as it probably gave a little more time for the anaesthetic to take effect). Usually, I watch needles going in and am not squirmish about things being done to me but, in this case, I had no desire to watch the cystoscope going in! Instead, I focused by attention on the video monitor, which kinda detaches you from the experience somehow. Although I could feel the cystoscope going in, I didn't feel any pain or discomfort... until the scope reached the area of the prostate. If you're having this procedure, it's likely you have possible prostate trouble and, as most prostate problems involve enlargement of the prostate, the urethra will be narrowed at this point depending on how enlarged the prostate is. I suspect how much discomfort/pain you feel at this point of the procedure will depend on how enlarged your prostate is and how much it occludes the urethra. In my case, the urethra was very narrowed as the median lobe of my prostate is enlarged (the source of my symptoms). The surgeon paused at this point and asked me to relax as though I was trying to urinate. I tried to do this, but as soon as the scope moves forwards, you naturally tense-up, which defeats the object of trying to relax in the first place! This was the most uncomfortable/painful part of the whole procedure for me. The pain was enough for me to screw my eyes up and shout 'owww' a few times, but it wasn't unbearable and only lasted a few seconds until the scope had passed the narrowing. After this, the scope enters the bladder and the surgeon has a good look around... you cannot feel this at all. In my case, my bladder was then filled with 400ml of water through the cystoscope as I was to have a flow study conducted immediately afterwards.

When the cystoscope comes out, it's a very strange feeling as you feel a bit like you're urinating (but you're not, obviously), but it's not painful. For me, the after-effects were minimal... I was anxious about urinating afterwards, but it wasn't too bad at all... some slight stinging the first couple of times, but that was all. Certainly no need for pain-killers.

All in all, the flexible cystoscopy wasn't too bad for me. It's not an experience I'd be in a rush to repeat(!), but it needed doing and it didn't last too long. I'd say it's no worse, really, than having something like a root canal at the dentist (which I've also experienced). Uncomfortable with the occasional fleeting bit of pain, but nothing too major.

Good luck!

5 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Just been to my first outpatients appointment with flow test and bladder scan (not emptying with 200 ml still in) and was told iam going to be booked for this procedure, i have had this done before back in 1996 when i had my original stricture cant remember it being that painful then just uncomfortable, maybe things have moved on since then as well. Iam on Tamsulosin as have enlarged prostate and weak stop start stream, hope to get sorted soon!
  • Posted

I have had a colonoscopy (6 feet of camera up the bottom), a flexible sigmoidoscopy (about 2 feet of camera up the bottom) and an endoscope down my throat into my stomach. I too was nervous about the cystoscopy; I think because, for men, getting kicked in the testicles is really painful we assume the whole area is super sensitive.

Whilst I think having your penis held and swabbed is somewhat intimate and possibly embarrassing the rest of the procedure, in my experience, gives less discomfort than any of the others (and I had my colonoscopy and sigmoidoscopy with no sedation). After the sting of the lubricant/anaesthetic which lasts a few seconds, I honestly didn't feel anything; I didn't realise the scope was in until the doctor told me to look at the screen and see my prostate. Then it was on into the bladder then out. A slight stinging for the first few pees then back to normal.

• Posted

I had this done today. The whole thing is very simple and there is no pain whatsoever. A mild stinging sensation when they inject the anaesthetic gel, the rest is nothing to worry about. I have a low pain threashold and the only slight discomfort is the feeling you want to pee. If you are having this don't worry - it's really nothing.
  • Posted

Look this biggest problem with this cystoscopy exam is this I think for men.The name of the instrument Cystoscope sounds scary it's just a flexiable tube containning a fibre optic light and camara and water supply and can also take samples.Cystoscopy exam is a mental challenge for any one,my blood pressure before I went in was through the roof.Yes some people in the room are going to see your penis,good chance they will be women nurses.You have a choice if the challenge is too much for you,maybe don't go but you will always wonder if you did the right thing.A man's penis is a very private thing I know I have one.Every one you meet in that room are there for you.All the best   
    • Posted

Hi. I understand what you mean about people seeing your penis, but it is just a penis and all us men have them. the urology nurses are dealing with them day in and day out and for them it's no different from a nose or finger. Having said that, when I had my cystoscopy most of the nurses were female but most of the patients were men; and given that many older men may be uncomfortable with a strange woman handling their penis it might be that the same consideration should be given to men as for women - that is same gender nurses if requested. When I had mine done a woman went before me and they removed the male nurse to get a female nurse (without asking her); for me I just got the female nurse with no consideration. Fortunately, for me, I consider all healthcare workers as just that and don't worry about gender but it is something that maybe men should be more concerned with.

• Posted

i would prefer a male nurse as i am on the small endowed size, very small in fact, but i know they are all professionals. i think its my patients right to ask for a male nurse. i wouldnt feel so insecure with another male seeing my inadequate size, which will prob be even smaller during this procedure from anxiety. lol  i laugh about being small, but with females, its not the same thing they will surely be laughing afterwards.
    • Posted

Had the procedure today at the age of 68. Despite a fortnight of trepidation it was all very simple, quick and painless. All three clinicians young attractive and thoroughly professional females, who explained every step and were very reassuring. Don't worry about how well or poorly you are endowed they've seen it all before and it's more in your mind than theirs.

• Posted

PaWiSu I think you hit the nail on the head.

Here in the US, the medical community always thinks 1st about a woman's dignity & ways to protect it.

They give NO consideration to a man.

There is no reason why a man cannot have male caregivers assisting with this or any other intimate related test or procedure.

Men go into this test with so many things already on their mind.

Many men that haven't dealt with the American medical system before have this preconcieved notion that since this test is of an intimate male nature, the facility will provide male caregivers to protect the patient's dignity if they so desire.

Then he goes for the test & gets a very rude awakening and finds out the facility doesn't care at all about male dignity/modesty. The patient comes away not trusting the medical profession anymore.

Not good for anyone.

Every medical facility should offer their patients (both men and women) the choice of same gender care if they so choose it.

This would take a huge burden off the patient whereby helping to get said patient on their way towards the best possible outcome from their visit.

You rarely if at all see male x-ray tech giving women mammograms.

Why not if a woman can give a man a scrotal ultrasound?

Because the system is setup to protect a woman's dignity wherever and whenever possible. They don't care about male dignity. As far as they're concerned, men aren't supposed to be modest.

Men want and deserve the same consideration women already get without question.

Many married men don't want other women seeing much less handling their privates for any reason.

Their wishes should without question be honored.

The intimate related tests & procedures are hard enough as it is to get through.

Must the system also totally embarass men for no reason?

Regards,

Raffie

• Posted

I'm afraid that is the way it is.  But some nurses are in it for the money not the care.  In the late 70's and early 80's I work in a nurseing home.  I took care of both men and women.  I gave them the care and respect that they needed.  I have been in the hospital many times over the last 2 years and the only time I felt like a piece of meat was from a male nurse.  I don't care who is taking care of me just give me the care that you would like for yourself.    Take care  ken      

• Posted

Hi Ken.

Things are currently the way they are right now because men are afraid or just not willing to speak up for change like the ladies have done.

Guys want to look macho & not rock the boat so they put up & shut up even though they want nothing to do with the setup.

Enough is enough.

If enough male patients who really would rather have male caregivers would TELL the doctor & facility they don't want to be seen and/or handled by female caregivers they will have to listen to the men just like they listened to the ladies.

The way this is currently being done CAN be changed.

Men that really want a CHOICE, just have to find their voice & SPEAK UP loud & clear.

Once enough guys say no to the current way of doing things CHANGE WILL COME. It will have to.

Regards,

Raffie

• Posted

That is true.  If you tell them you perfer a male you should get a male.  After I had trouble with that male nurse.  No one touches me until they have  my permission.  That was horror story take care ken
    • Posted

First of all I am a 73 year old male. I have had both male and female, young and old give me medical care. I had my cystoscopy exam preformed by a young female Doctor and female Nurse. They were both extremely professional. It not all about your penis. GROW UP!!! 
  • Posted

Hi Guys, Just an update on my cystoscopy which i had down 3 days ago.  Just to give you some history beforehand i had a urethral stricture back in 1996 and warned me then it might come back but with enlarged prostate diagnosed recently and weak stream etc i was booked in for the procedure.OK after waiting in the waiting room for over an hour with anxiety running quite high, had a preliminary chat with the doc about the procedure and previous history and then soon down to business. I wasnt asked to change into a gown but lay on the couch and told to take my trousers and pants down past my knees. The area was swabbed by one of the nurses and then i was told they were going to inject the gel / lubricant in, i held my breath and oh my god the pain! I almost jumped off the couch! He then said he was going to place the scope into me but to be honest i then felt a little stinging but i then heard him say he was aborting the procedure due to my stricture which was all too obvious at this stage i guess. So i think the reason for the pain is because the gel was being forced past the stricture and into me against the natural flow. Anyway i have been booked in for a optical urethrotomy in the new year, in which they open up the stricture again and then hopefully normal service instead of a weak / split stream etc, anyone who has had this procedure recently please let me know if things have changed since 1996 when i first had it done.
  • Posted

Hi Ian

Was wondering if you can help me. what was your pt journey to the theatre please. ie what sysmptoms did you present what happened when you went to the doctors and where you reffered. i ask this as i am doing a presenatation on cystoscopies and feel this would help me greatly. 

• Posted

Hi alll,

Just wanted to pass on my experience of a flexible cystoscopy this morning. I am 22 years old and the thought of this procedure is far worse than the procedure itself. Gel stings a little, camera feels a it strange and slightly uncomfortable (naturally). No added discomfort passing prostate, no added disomfort passing into the bladder. No discomfort once in the bladder and no discomfort when filling the bladder with water. No discomfort whilst removing the camera. Procedure lasts all of 2 minutes (if that) and you probably will be told results there and then.

Consulant also examined my prostate prior to my examination via a digital rectal examination. No discomfort or pain at all and lasts about 15 seconds. 

After cystoscopy you probably will feel a stinging sensation for a while too.

Overall folks, not bad at all to obtain important results. 

• Posted

Had one yesterday and it hurt like hell....although it only lasted a few minutes. Maybe the urologist has rough manner.hope stinging goes away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.