Flexible cystoscopy (male) - able to view the prostate?

Posted , 8 users are following.

When a urologist does an examination using a Flexible cystoscopy can he view the prostate? Since the Flexible cystoscopy goes down the urethra and then into the bladder, how can the urologist view the actual prostate?

Since it is a closed system from the urethra to the bladder one would i imagine the urologist would only be able to view the prostate lobes against the bladder neck.

Urologist would not be able to go outside the system and actually look at prostate. Am I correct?

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I’ve been dealing with this prostate problem for over 2 1/2yrs these doctors have no clue on what to do with me they want me on all these pills to try to shrink the prostate I just want a procedure done too shrink it..I’ve seen these procedures on line REZUM,PROSTATE ARTERY EMBOLIZATION,PROSTIVA,FLA,GREENLIGHT this is from the least invasive to most has anyone had these done the first three have good reviews any feedback would help
    • Posted

First of all you please do not rush into anything.  Med's are the first course of action.  Did the doctor tell you how big your prostate was.  And is your prostate the problem.  How is your bladder and your kidney's.  I had a large prostate.  It was the size of a large lemon.  I had a Urolift done over 3 years ago.  On no pills and no side affects at all. Still wide open.  Do some research on Urolift, Rezum, and PAE.  It's better to take your time and see what is best for you.  The 3 procedure and less invasive.  Ken  

• Posted

Johnny,

One Urologist I saw was able to put the cystoscope into the bladder and turn it around so the bottom of the bladder could be seen.  He must have been using a flexible cystoscope that could be steered.  He showed it to me on a Monitor, and pointed out that the bottom of my bladder was rounded up, saying that it was because of an enlarged median lobe.

Thomas

• Posted

Thomas.  Did you get a second open.  I tried looking it up and I came up with.  The bladder is a round bag like organ.  The bladder is typically the size of a large grapefruit.  Have a good day  Ken     
    • Posted

Ken,

The bottom of the bladder was rounded up or convex upward, because of the median lobe pushing up on the bladder.

Thomas

• Posted

No problem just making sure.  Good luck  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.