Flexible Sigmoidoscopy appointment today

Posted , 1 user is following.

I went for my appointment for this procedure today. As I was very, very anxious, I was aggressive + was swearing at the poor nurse & then the sedation anaesthetist doc n doctors. I apologised n said sorry, It makes me aggressive when I'm scared, cos I read to many horror stories on here...They said I could have the sedation first & then the gas & air. The gas & air was really weird, I even felt numb to my feet, its like you've had way to much to drink, but worse. If your over anxious & v scared like I was, all the above is the better option. I don't really remember much about it. They had to stop the procedure cos they found poo stools high up. I'm suprised cos I'd been having watery bowels after taking citramag this morning. (I've still got LBs at 21.00 My next option they suggested is to have mine done with a full anaesthetic, so I am put to sleep.

If your scared & anxious like me, I'd go for the sedation with the gas & air.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like the citramag didn't do the job properly.  I looked it up and the notes I found said to follow a low residue diet for 2 days.  Then on 3rd day (the day before the procedure) have a breakfast then nothing else except water.  Take 10 Senna tablets at 2pm, 1st sachet of citramag at 4pm and 2nd sachet of citramag at 6pm.  Keep drinking water until 1 hour before the procedure the next day.  So if you didn't do the 2 day diet or take senna, but only took the citramag on the day of the procedure, I'm thinking it may not have had time to work properly.  They may suggest a different prep for you next time.  And me - I'm a complete wuss, and would happily be put out, but the UK won't do that.  If fact they seem to give so little sedation or gas and air these days, it has no effect on a lot of people.

• Posted

I've still got loose bowels the day after, the failed procedure. The report says I asked them to stop,, I don't remember much about it. The doctor when in just at the tip end.. Found no polyps. I went back to my GP this morning because the dr/nurses at the endoscopy clinic suggested I had it done with a full anaesthetic. My GP said she will see me in 2 weeks to see if symptoms improve. One thing is for sure tho.. I won't be going back to that endoscopy dept. Not after the abuse I gave them, as soon as I walked in m saw the anaesthetist doc etc, I said something I shouldn't of,, like f o.. I didn't mean it,, I said sorry 🙏 to them all.. They said we've had far worse.. That don't make me feel any better tho. They knew I was v v anxious n scared, unfortunately in me, it comes out as aggressive.

• Posted

PS the gas, air & sedation still affected me today. Very tired n woozy this morning, I slept til 10am. I slept for about 3 or so hours when I got home yesterday.

• Posted

I had a different prep, Moviprep and that too was going strong 2 days after the date of the colonoscopy.  I've had both a General and sedation for various procedures in recent years and I find I'm always very tired the day after, and can't concentrate.  It made me realise why they say no driving for 24 hours afterwards.  A work colleague has a really strong reaction and it takes her a couple of weeks to recover from the drugs. 

My cousin is in the medical profession and she said people often react like you did, and the staff recognise it is only fear.  And she said too that when under, people do say the strangest and most unlikely things.  Some are not only verbally aggressive but physical as well.  It is only your embarrassment - the staff see so many people and you will be just one of thousands that say things they later regret.

For all the bad reports you read hear, there are many more people who do not have any problems so of course don't post to the forum.  I always suggest people bear that in mind when following the forum.

• Posted

The doctors report said, no polyps found, so he only got the tip of the tube in. I don't remember any of it,, telling him to stop. My GP female doc has got the right 'ass' ache with me over yesterday.. They probably told her I was abusive.. But I did say I'm sorry a few times, I was upset tht I was horrible to them...so now my doc said I'll book u in n c u in 2 weeks to c if ur symptoms improve.. I'll just ignore it if it comes back... GP also said I was the same way when I had treatment for breast cancer 3yr ago. I just wanted the surgery without anything else, like chemo, r therapy. I didn't complete either, 4/6 chemo.. Tht wasn't my choice tho, the 4th 2nd type made me really ill.. I should've done 6 of the 1st one, it wasn't as bad.. As for the radiotherapy 4/15..cos I got the ass ache with a nurse who had a go at me cos I wanted to go to the loo on the way,, we passed right by it.. She says we hvnt got time for this n I thought f....it.with the water 💦 on the brain 🧠 stuff its different,, I've had it all my life since I was 3 months old, last op done in 1996..13 ops altogether so I'm used to it... And accept it. Anything else complicated, I don't thts y I kick off,, learning disability etc. I'm on fb under Julie Anne xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.