flexible sigmoidoscopy tomorrow....need help

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi have a flexible sigmoidoscopy tomorrow at 2:45pm I started my prep 8am this morning with my first dose of picolax and had my other one at 4pm this afternoon and still nothing has happened. Ive read loads of stories about people back and fourth the toilet but It dont seem to be working. Im worried that if it dont they wont beable to do the flexible sigmoidoscopy tomorrow

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Daniel....i think i can put your mind at rest about this!. Over the past 13 years i have had about 6 colonoscopies, where prep of the bowel is required with picolax etc. HOWEVER i have also had a flexible sigmoidoscopy and i didĀ NOT have to use any prep to cleanse the bowel at all!....i just had to restrict my food intake for a day or two beforehand. With a colonoscopy the whole large bowel is scoped hence why prep is needed to cleanse the whole large bowel. BUT with my flexible sigmoidiscopy i was given an enema about half an hour before the peocedure to make me empty my lower bowel, This was because a fleible sigmoidoscopy only scopes the lower bowel ..about 12 to 15 inches or so. What i am saying is if you still havn`t opened your bowels before your exam tell the hospital when you get there and they can give you an enema. However i would advise you phone the hospital dept. for advice beforehand about this...as hospitals have different procedures..i am in the UK...hope all goes well....regards
    • Posted

I am in the uk as well but the hospital told me if the picolax dont work I would have to book another appointment and try the moviprep. Do you know if its fine to add a senna tablet.
    • Posted

When i had my colonoscopies in addition to the picolax i was also given 2 bisocodyl tablets to take. I`m not sure if you can buy these " over the counter" or not...good luck!

• Posted

Don't worry things should start moving if not still go for your appointment discuss it with the nurses. I was offered a enema for my sigmoidoscopy but opted for the prep . They will discuss everything with you

Good luck for tomorrow

• Posted

If nothing has happend by tomorrow morning, i would give the hospital a call for advice. Picolax usally works within a few hoursĀ 
  • Posted

I have had 3 bowel movements since I posted nothing much though but it was watery. I got a feeling I wont be able to get ot done tomorrow. I phoned them about the first one not working and they said if they cant get a clear view I would have to go through it all again using moviprep. Wish they could just do the enema it would be so much easier.
  • Posted

Took mine 3 hours after first dose to do anything. After that it was game over. 2nd and 3rd dose really hit hard. Good luck though affects different people in different ways
    • Posted

I had the 3 movements which was hardly anything and thats it. They only gave 2 doses
    • Posted

Maybe take the 2nd dose an hour or so earlier than advised. As I said some people it can cause issues for hours some it doesn't work so well.

• Posted

I had the second dose at 7pm im thinking of adding a senna tablet maybe that will help
  • Posted

Would it harm to add a senna tablet maybe it will get things moving
    • Posted

Not sure ref senna. I would make sure you are drinking loads of water. Will help flush things through. Think they advise a large glass every hour
    • Posted

My 1st colon prep I had to take 4 senna tablets before I started the picolax also my last prep was 6am in the morning

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.