Flickering light in eye after Cataract surgery

Posted , 58 users are following.

Hi all

I'm recovering from cataract Implant surgery in my left eye, It''s been nearly a month since my surgery, I've found in the early morning that the light in the partial darkness of the bedroom is not an issue with my eye, but as some of you have already talked about bright light then I have to agree with you all.

In bright light I to have this flickering which comes from the left side of my periferal vision and then spreads from left to right and yes its very annoying, as I type this comment I'm having to shield the light with my left hand against the side of my face to somewhat stop the side dazzle it doesnt however stop the flicker when I move my eye left to right, when I'm looking straight forward I dont get the flicker.

I had a cataract operation and Implant in my right eye done about 7 years ago and cannot recollect having these flickering problems then ? my optician said its possible that the light reflection is coming from the implanted lens and radiating around, she said my eye needs time to settle. I hope as others have said that time is a great healer and that it eventually disappears on its own, as it is driving me nuts at present, perhaps using sunglasses with a side cover on might help me, well its something I'm going to try.

5 likes, 155 replies

155 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

12/3/2014  Thanks Rady for starting this discussion! I had my first eye done 2 months ago and the second 2 weeks afterward.  The bilateral peripheral flashers started just a week ago.  I'm a year post-macular hole repair (right eye) and am at higher risk for retinal detachment. It was comforting to read your comments and those of other patients to discover flashers are not uncommon. 

My IOLs are not square - and since I live in Florida USA I refer to their shape as "Hurricane" symbols lol  Mine remain on both outside eye edges traveling from top to bottom - these I call shooting stars!  These occur in any lighting situation.  BTW, I just had one on the right that shot upward - that's a new spin!  Think I'll name that one a spaceship launch.

Yes, they are annoying but more troubling is that their sudden appearance startles me and my balance is a bit wonky.  I like your idea of coating the IOL edges with an opaque layer. Get a patent on that right away, OK?

Is this a good time to mention the #@$%& floaters?!?! Is anyone else swatting at gnats? rolleyes

Blessings to all who are following this forum!

• Posted

How did it pan out for you? I read that floaters can be a sign of retinal detatchment so I hope that wasn't the issue. 

• Posted

Had surgery 2 days ago and I am experiencing a strobing effect that sounds similar. I spoke to my consultant and he said it's probably an optical edge effect that should disappear as the capsular bag shrinks. One point he made that I thought might be relevant to others here is that if it occurs only in low light it could be a sign that the retina is being pulled and could precurse retinal detachment
    • Posted

A brief update. The flickering has practically disappeared for me 2 weeks later. I do see it very infrequently but I suspect my brain is filetring it out most of the time and I don't find it a problem at present. 
    • Posted

Thanks. I should say that overall I'm delighted with the result, which is a good job because it cost me a fortune and I'm not easily pleased. 
  • Posted

Had cataract surgery on my left eye 3 months ago, using a Trulign lens. Starting about day after surgery, could see clearly only at about 2 feet, not in the distance, TV distance, nor reading distance. Also had a number of visual aberrations, the most annoying, fluttering/flickering usually in the left side of my vision (almost a feeling of twitch inside my eye), most often accompanied by glare streaking in across my vision from the left, but sometimes from above. Sometimes the glare without the flutter. Other aberrations: halos, coronas and rays around bright objects in a dim environment, glare from oncoming headlights worse than from my right eye, which has not been operated on and still has a cataract.

At first doc said everything looked "perfect", but finally said he thought lens might have twisted, might be hanging up on one side. Suggested 2nd surgery to implant a stabilizing ring around the lens in hopes of correcting my problems. Had 2nd surgery 8 weeks ago. After things settled down again, nothing had changed, all the problems were still there. Doc has had me try various drops, a contact lens, which corrected my distant vision at the expense of closer distance. Nothing has really affected the aberrations and he doesn't have a good theory on what's causing all my troubles.

Seems a 3rd surgery to replace the lens with a mono lens, might be an option, but without really understanding what's going on, the doc and I are both reluctant to open up my eye again. Pretty discouraged, hoping somebody had similar situation and found an answer. TIA for any relevant response.

• Posted

Have you considered a second opinion? Surgery to correct an undiagnosed problem doesn't sound like a good idea to me (or you by the sound of it). 
    • Posted

Thanks to you and peter37676 for responding.

Got 2nd opinion before I had the 2nd surgery that put in the ring. The 2nd opinion was,"wait longer maybe things will improved", now its 2+ mos and nothing has improved. Thought about getting yet anotehr opinion, but it turns out I've gone to the only 2 docs in the Seattle area that use the Trulign lens. Contacted another prominent doc's office, but becasue he doesn't use the Trulign, he didn't want to get involved.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that. I wonder if writing to the lens manufacturer would do any good. Someone else must have had a similar problem - is there a US discussion board you could try? It would be helpful if surgeons posted here but I guess they're scared of treading on each others' toes or getting sued. 
    • Posted

Been in contact with lens manufacturer for 2 mos now, signed all the forms they required. They said they would look into the situation, lens manufacture history, consult with my eye doc etc. But despite repeated requests for their feedback, so far nothing.
    • Posted

For anyone still following, it's now over 5 months since the (1st) cataract surgery on my left eye. After delays, finally had a  meeting with lens manufacture rep and doc. The rep tested and examined my eye said everything "looked great", said the eye had healed well, doc had done "bang up" surgery etc. When I asked why then was my distance and near vision not good and worse, why I was experiencing all the visual aberrations, the worst of which is the flickering/fluttering on the left side on my field of vision, but also the glare from the sides and above, halos and rays around bright objects at night and glare from oncoming heading lights, he had no explanation. Said he/ they never ran into it before. When I mentioned that others like on this forum had experienced it, he more or less shrugged. In other words the meeting accomplished nothing.

So my choices remain, have 3rd surgery and replace the adaptive lens with a fixed focus lens and hope it gets rid of  the aberrations, which doc is hesitant to do or recommend, since he has no confidence that it'll alleviate my problems OR I can live with it. And have cataract surgery on my right eye, which I'm queasy about, given what happened with the left and because it's still carrying the day as far as my vision goes, even though it's slowing getting worse.

Putting time pressure on, doc says the clouding behind the lens implant (requiring the YAG procedure) is proceeding, so I have to make up my mind soon whether I want the lens replaced, since it's not a good idea to replace a lens after the YAG.

I go back and forth about what to do depending just how annoying my left eye is at that moment.

• Posted

Hello Peter and everyone,

Dysphtopsia and Dry Eyes

I have just registered and found this thread under Cataract surgary.

I cannot see where to start a new thread for the moment but wonder

whether we could compare notes and support under a Dysphopsia heading? I can ask patients in the dry eye group whether there is anyone who has this problem and how they are managing.

I first noiced a black )) in my eye - liken to a horse wearing blinkers after the first cataract op and though it would go away when I had the other cataract done. Staff didn`t seem too bothered that I`d mentioned it so I thought I must be being a bit of a baby - After the second op it was worse and has not changed. It`s really getting the better of me as I also have dry eyes and suffering from a loss in confidence. 

Going to the supermarket with glaring bright lights I never noticed before is awful and I get out of there as soon as I can.

The only advice I have been given is to wear sun glasses but it takes away the pleasure of browsing. 

I haven`t seen the same surgeon again but have been told the condition is irriversible as the gel sticks to the lens at the back

of the eye so further surgary to correct is out of the question.

It was a relief to read that I`m not alone - Thank you 

• Posted

I think it's pretty easy to start a new thread, if you like.

As you may know, there is both positive and negative Dysphopsia. Negative is what it sounds like you have. I (may) have positive, though my doc, who is pretty experienced says he's never incountered my set of symptoms and no matter what, he dosen't know what's causing them, since he continues to maintain my IOL seems to be in proper postion and is not moving, which (if it was) might account for the fluttering/flickering I see.

I don't really have the dry eye problem, though with so much annoying stuff going on, but it often feels like a contact lens that's fouled up. And just want to be able to take it out, but, of course can't.

About the only thing I might ask is wether you've gotten a 2nd opinion for a different doctor? Though I did and it wasn't helpful.

Also if you don't mind telling me what type of IOL did they us on your eye?

The unexpected hassle with what so many others (including my wife) had no problems whatsoever has gotten me pretty discouraged/down too. And hearing about your having the same problem with the 2nd eye, amkes me even more reluctant to have my other eye done, even though it seems I'll have to at some point.

Hang in there.

• Posted

Hi Peter,

I'm not on the computer right now but

For the time being knowing what I do

I'd stick with the GP's opinion.

Prior to having the second cataract done I put my hand over the )) side and it disappeared - like you I wish I could take them out.

I have not discussed it at all with the GP as I don't know anything about positive and negative Dystopsia - I just had a letter saying it was " "

I recall being give the lens details but

Don't know where the paper is right now - it would be interesting to see the lens comparisons ie is it a particular type of lens causing the problem or whether - as I read - a brain perception phenomenon . Whatever it is I don't like it - you hang on in there too : )

I'll see if I can find the paper.

Best Wishes

Alice

• Posted

Hi. I had IOL implants nearly 3months ago. I found the glare unbearable. But I am happy to say the glare has gone and I can shop happy!

Also suffer flickering light in left eye.

How long ago did u have surgery?

• Posted

Sorry for the delayed response, for some reason didn't see your post until today. Happy your glare is gone. What about the flickering?

I had the surgery on my left eye last Nov. Been putting off going back to doc, even though nothing has improved for me, but tomorrow I have an appointment.

Believe doc will recommend (as he has before) going ahead with my right eye usng a an old-fashioned, fixed focal IOL. Natually I'm quite nervous about doing the right eye in view of what happened with the left, for which he has no good explanation. Tried getting yet a 3rd opinion, but other docs are etheir booked up til July or disinterested. So seems it's time to bite the bullet and try to move on.

BTW left eye is in increasing in need of the YAG proceedure, as the secondary cataract is getting worse. I don't want to do it now, since doc says that he wouldn't consider lens replacement for my left eye, after the YAG and I'm still thinking about having him do that in hopes of getting rid of all the visual BS (flickering, glare, halos etc) even though he's is not at all sure it will fix the problems and is reluctant to operate on the same eye for the 3rd time.

Whatever, mighty disappointing that after the high hopes last Nov that I had a good chance of being able to get rid of my glasses, not to mention thousands in out of pocket costs, the hope of getting rid of glasses is all but gone and I seem to be stuck with a problem left eye and only the hope the right will turn out OK.

Anyone's input, partcularly about the flickering, would be appreciated.

• Posted

Find another doctor fast.   Look on the internet for patient reviews of doctors and their ratings and pick a good one.   That doctor sounds crazy.  He's just making money on all these surgeries, an eye can only take so much.   I wouldn't be having another surgery with that doctor
    • Posted

I wouldn't give that doctor another chance i'd find a better doctor.   I had the wrong lense put in my left eye,  I found an excellent doctor on the internet and had my right eye done there and its perfect.
    • Posted

Hi I was told I'm the only one. Now 6 months out right eye. Can't shop because of floresent lights. I never had to wear glasses to watch tv and now I do. And even with glasses I can't focus on anything. It's like watching a large screen tv without motion flo constant jerking vision. I can't look up when walking or look in my walk in closet with the light on. I'm told I have to get used to it. I wish I could get this IOL out. The colors are so off. I'm tired of living in my basement Or wearing sunglasses indoors or hats

So frustrated. It seems I have more updated info that some doctors.

Why do they keep putting these iols in eyes without letting people know all the problems they will have afterwards.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

In November I had cataract surgery with a Crystalens implanted in my right eye. Flickering began immediately after the surgery. I have realized over time that the flickering is related to my eyeball movement. The edge of the lens apparently catches the light, causing the flickering sensation. Fluorescent or bright lights are the worst but daylight causes it as well. It is now 5 months later and the flickering has not diminished. I've been to several doctors, all of whom have mentioned that they don't use the Crystalens because of the problems that others have encountered with it. I tried having a piggyback lens inserted (with a different surgeon) about a month ago and no improvement, with visual acuity slightly decreased and more glare. Surgeon also suggested trying a contact lens that would correct the vision and possibly help, but it did not help with the flickering and glare. I am now scheduled for an IOL exchange to remove the Crystalens (which was supposed to allow me to see both near and far but never did) and will replace it with a lens intended to only help with my farsightedness. I empathize with so many of you who are suffering with this awful condition. It is so very challenging to endure.
    • Posted

As you may have seen via my posts in this topic, we have traveled very similar paths. Mine started in November 2014 with the Trulign lens, the astigmatic-correcting version of the Crystalens. I too didn't see clearly up close nor in the distance, only at about 2 feet, had the flickering, rays and halos etc, so a 2nd operation to insert a "stablizing" ring was performed, but it did no good at all.

After many months of suffering with the flickering etc I opted to try the piggyback operation, even though the 3rd doc I went to indicated it was a long shot to alleviate the flickering. However it DID more or less do away with the flickering. But, like you, it seems to have made the glare etc worse and overall my vision seems a bit worse. The doc says he doesn't think doing anything else (lens exchange) has a good risk/reward. He's worried that after this long the Tulign may be too difficult to remove. So I should learn to live with the way it is.

I have been developing the secondary cataract behind the IOL that needs the YAG laser treatment, but have been holding off having it done, since there seems to be agreement that once it's done, it's really too risky to consider a lens exchange.

Would be very interested to learn the results of your lens exchange... best of luck with it.

• Posted

re:  "once it's done, it's really too risky to consider a lens exchange."

That depends on what sort of lens you are looking for. What I gather is that a YAG treatment means that afterwards the capsular bag is likely not going to be able to remain intact if a lens exchange is attempted. They can still place a lens outside of the capsular bag (which is what they do if the bag is damaged during the initial cataract surgery), but for various reasons they use 3 piece lenses for placement outside the capsular bag since  1 piece lenses can cause problems if placed outside the bag. Most premium lenses are 1 piece lenses that go inside the capsular bag. Most 3 piece lenses are monofocals, which is likely what you'd likely want if doing a lens exchange, but I think there are also some 3 piece multifocal lens options (or at least I've seen older references to them, I'm not certain they are still on the market).  There may be slightly higher risk, they prefer to place a lens in the bag if possible so holding off on the YAG  does make sense.

• Posted

I apologize that I forgot your handle and that we communicated directly about this a few months ago. Chalk it up to too many birthdays... ;-(

I find navigating though all the posts in this thread quite difficult.

Sorry the piggyback lens didn't help you. If I had it to do over again I would have opted for lens exchange... again hope your exchange solves your problems.

• Posted

Thanks for your input. Any luck getting your iridodonesis alleviated?
    • Posted

Well an update 8 months out. I've now seen 2 other Doctors and University of Michigan. Yes they all said something is wrong, yes I have both negative and positive Dysphotopsia. The IOL is Alcon SN60WF AcrySof IQ IOL UV with Blue Light Filter. Options, piggy back the IOL, or put drops in my eye continuously to make the pupil very small to block the light. 

i wear glasses I had the lens  tinted with a blue purple tint, so I can live in my house with the curtains open. If I'm in the sun I wear a hat and sunglasses

over my glasses. Funny thing before the surgery I wore glasses for reading

. Now I wear glasses to get the blurriness down to a minimum. I have a scarel contact lens coming in the next week I paid almost 3000.00 for one lens. And after I wear that Lens for awhile, then they will determine what my glasses prescription will be. And they want to know when I will have surgery on the other eye. Never if this is the outcome. Everything is still yellow tinted, and when I look at white or something brite, it burns a spot or image in my eye that does not go away for hours. Sorry very frustrated. They put this thing in my eye, you would think they could remove it. I'm now 56 and my mother is in her 80's. So if I live another 30 years will this still be the same? 

I was never told that the IOL is yellow, just that it was uv filtered. I complained from 1st dat after surgery about colors are all off, and contrast is off, it took until almost 3 months before they said, you can't see that yellow tint. It's crazy and driving me crazy, and changed my life. I can't paint my houses with the same tints, the paint store now mixes them differently for me so I can see the difference between the dry and the wet paint. White paint I can't tell the difference between dry or wet. I'm a property manager and real estate broker and I did like flipping houses and doing a lot of the work myself. But it's cost me time and money when I can't see good enough to do it myself, and I either have to paint again, or hire someone. People used to pay me to paint. I can't go into stores and shop, I grab what I need and get out, or close my eye. I can't sit by the pool and watch my grandkids, it's too brite. Life is different 

• Posted

Alice,

How long did t take for your glare to disa[[ear

• Posted

11 month now Still issues with color, fluorescent lights, the black crescent when I try to focus. I can't sit and watch tv.  Not sure why But it bothers me. I wear a scleral lens on the surgery eye, and have a pair of glasses to drive, another to use the computer, another for reading, and bifocals for the rest of the day. At night it's like missing pixels in my view, I don't know how to get peace with vision. I wish I could focus on something, or a spicific distance or something. I call my surgeon every month on my anniversary and say nothing had changed. All he says is get used to it, and he said he has my file out and if or when something changes he will call me. It makes me wonder how many files he has in that pile. 

So any help will be appreciated. 

• Posted

This seems to be the most recent post on here. My last eye was done about 6 weeks ago. I was tested for glasses this week. I have the same issues others have and asked questions but got no answers from anyone in the surgeon's office. Really wish I had not had this done. The one thing I have not seen mentioned on here that really bothers me is seeing things in my side vision. I see movement, sometimes black, sometimes white. I often believe it is a person or animal. It is extremely annoying and sometimes a little scary. Just wondering if anyone else has this. Thanks

• Posted

Hi Peter, I have the same problems on my right eye after cataract surgery. Especially this annoying flickering. May I ask you a question? When you stare at something and you experience the flickering, if you close your right eye and keep staring by your left, is the flickering reduced or it stays the same?
    • Posted

i had a cataract in my left eye which i had to get done the procedure was fantastic & since i am a nervous ninny, the staff handled me stupendously! ( Bethlehem surg center, PA) went for my second procedure and had a totally different experience wasnt as pleasant i now experience those light streaks in 2nd eye that was done. when i asked the surgeon, he too, didnt have an answer, stating the lens he put in looked fine. yes, frustrating. AND love this site

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.