Flickering sensation after cataract surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I got surgery on both my eyes one week back, I am delighted with my distance vision, though I need glasses for reading which is not comfortable because everything seems larger & while reading the paper or looking at a white surface my peripheral (outer) area of vision seems to flicker or quiver with every movement of the eyeball. my eye surgeon could not give a satisfactory explanation, he just said that this will go away. can anyone explain?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I can't explain what it is, but it happened to me after my cataract surgery. The flickering was very distracting (and worrying), and I also had a distortion of my vision on one side with vertical lines. It lasted for around 9 to 12 months and now both the flickering and the lines have completely gone.

Incidentally my surgeon couldn't explain why it was happening either but said it would go after about 12 months, which it did. It was so bad that I thought it would stay permanently, but thankfully it didn't!

• Posted

Hi all

I'm recovering from cataract Implant surgery in my left eye, It''s been nearly a month since my surgery, I've found in the early morning that the light in the partial darkness of the bedroom is not an issue with my eye, but as some of you have already talked about bright light then I have to agree with you all.

In bright light I to have this flickering which comes from the left side of my periferal vision and then spreads from left to right and yes its very annoying, as I type this comment I'm having to shield the light with my left hand against the side of my face to somewhat stop the side dazzle it doesnt however stop the flicker when I move my eye left to right, when I'm looking straight forward I dont get the flicker.

I had a cataract operation and Implant in my right eye done about 7 years ago and cannot recollect having these flickering problems then ? my optician said its possible that the light reflection is coming from the implanted lens and radiating around, she said my eye needs time to settle. I hope as others have said that time is a great healer and that it eventually disappears on its own, as it is driving me nuts at present, perhaps using sunglasses with a side cover on might help me, well its something I'm going to try.

• Posted

I have the same flickering problem and sunglasses with a side cover do help.
  • Posted

Hello fellow guests,

This flickering in your eyes after cataract surgery sounds exactly the same as mine and having read your comments it seems its all down to time, as in the healing process,Ive been very concerned about this and am seeing my optician tomorrow but Im sure I will get the same answer. My 1st cataract operation was 7 yrs ago so Im a lot older now, so dont know if this is a factor or not ? as some people take longer to heal the older they get,

Im 62 and dont class myself as old, but 7yrs ago my 1st eye healed much quicker than my 2nd and I didnt have this flickering, so perhaps Ive got to be more patient, and stop rushing things, Ive been off work for 6wks now, thats 2 more than I would have liked but the flickering was making my head ache besides driving me nuts and I decided to take the extra time off due to worry and was getting quite stressed which wasn't helping me, so after consultation with my optician and doctor I asked for the extra 2 weeks and my doctor agreed.

The flickering at present is still ongoing and is very tiring, and white reflective backgrounds I try to avoid as my eye is still very sensative to the brightness, but I plan to go back to work next week providing my company doctor agrees, being back at work will hopefully take my mind off the situation and give me something else to focus my attention on as in work related, rather than just worrying unnecessarily about my eye which is what I have been doing.

• Posted

Five days ago I had phacoemulsification cataract removal/lens implant surgery on my right eye. Currently I'm experiencing the peripheral flickering/dazzling light sensation you described. Although I find it irritating, my wife reminds me the same thing occurred when I had this surgery on my left eye 11 months ago. At that time, I felt worried and wondered if the flickering light would go away. When I was outdoors, I found it helpful to wear sunglasses with covers on the sides. My surgeon--whose been performing these surgeries for 35 years--assured me the symptoms were transient and would go away. And yes, happily, the flickering lessened in frequency and intensity over the first 90 days until the symptoms seemed to disappear altogether. I'm optimistic this will happen again with my other eye.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up