flickery eye

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi.

Does anyone out there know of any way to stop or calm muscle twitching? I have had a flickery eye for 4 days now and it's getting really annoying. If I hold my eye shut with my fingers it seems to stop but starts again when I let go.  I know it's not the worst thing about this illness but it doesn't usuually go on relentlessly for days on end. I hope this is not a sign that things are getting worse, but I have been feeling more tired recently as well. sad

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi olivetree. sorry to hear ur eye is giving u such grief presently. i've had it in the past & it reoccurs every now and again. it's generally more noticable when i forget to take my magnesium. so perhaps u could up the Mag. it might help it.

Caitlin.

• Posted

Hi Cailin.

I have no idea what my magnesium level is but do not take any mag suppliments so worth a try.

Thanks.

• Posted

hi olivetree. ah, the muscle spasms & twitches are often due to low Mag. it might be a good idea to take a good mineral supplement with as much Mag as u can tolerate. the levels of nag. in the cells is usually low in ppl with ME/CFS whilst the serum levels can be normal. u could also take epsom salts baths. it's a good means of absorbing mag. too.

Caitlin

• Posted

Hi olive tree, a twitching eye muscle is very common even in people without fibromyalgia. It can interfere with reading and activities to an extent that driving can be difficult. There's nothing that can be directly done to stop it. Mg may be low but I would expect more generalised twitching. It's more likely to be benign fasciculation syndrome.

Caroline

• Posted

Hi, I have had this in the past, prior to CFS and I found it was stress related 

sarah x

• Posted

Hi,

I usually find this happens to me when I am tired.  It can last days or just minutes.

I keep my magnesium levels up by sprinkling seeds on my breakfast.  A mixture of Pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, and linseed.  they can alway be added to salads if you dont have a breakfast to sprinkle them on.  

• Posted

Hi Olivetree,  yes I suffered quite frequently with twitches and eye flicking, and my g.p. prescribed Baclofen which has stopped this for quite a few months now.

Wishing you well

Txx

• Posted

I have the same problem.  I had the eye twitching before I got sick, and now different parts of my body twich a lot.  Usually, if I relax and meditate, it will go away.  Sometimes, just lighly massaging the muscle will help (but be careful not to hurt your eye redface)  My magnesium levels are fine.  I would get your magnesium levels checked and also maybe start a good relaxation program.  I hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.