Flight anxiety! Really

Posted , 6 users are following.

I went on holiday two years ago and have been afraid of flying for much longer. I went to the doctors and they prescribed me with 20mg of diazepam. 10 for the way there 10 on the way back. It didn't really do much for me on the way back. Two days after I got back I didn't know it but I had a major panic attack and ended up in a and e thinking my it was my heart. This was the start of the worst 6 months of my life with daily panic and anxiety. I eventually got over it after CBT. It's coming up to holiday time again in may. I have three young children so I can't miss it. I'm a big lad and think maybe a bigger dose may be necessary. Any thoughts anyone? Thanks alot. James.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

James can I ask you something? During that six months did you keep a high heart rate? Get flutters? Dizziness? Brain fog? Did you take meds?
  • Posted

I been in that boat exactly all u said. I wonder why we have kind of a delayed. Shock panic I think because its doing too much. So facing the fear actually isn't always the best action. Yes perhaps a bigger dose but try before you go good luck. I panicked my way across Canada and USA last year was a nightmare but I didn't take anything to help prob a mistake
  • Posted

Fear of flying is a common and legitimate fear. For some its a fear that just won't go away,and yhrtrs nothing wrong with that. If your happy to medicate,then see your doc and get the most you can. Other options are to get therapy or just not fly. I have a fear of flying, my solution is to never fly - its not an essential thing to do
  • Posted

When you say you can't miss it, that's not really true. You may not want to,but if a fear makes you ill, then its simply not worth it. Theres plenty of alternatives, flying is by no means a necessity
  • Posted

A few thoughts, diazepam is not useful for everyone, I know a lady who is terrified of flying and diazepam does absolutely nothing to help her, she ended up paying for private CBT treatment as flying is essential for her job.

Also in some cases it can cause rebound anxiety meaning that when it leaves your system a few days after taking it (it has a long half life) you may have a lot of anxiety for no apparent reason.

I would be looking at tackling the fear of flying through some form of therapy although if you are not able to pay it can be a long wait, I know some airlines used to do courses for people who had a fear of flying but not sure of the cost, it may be worth enquiring.

Failing that you have the option to medicate again but I am not sure if your doctor would be willing to prescribe a larger dose, they might do but if that was rebound anxiety you don't want it to trigger another 6 months of hell after your next holiday.

I think that seeking therapy is your best option here, you might not get abroad this year or it might not be by plane but it would be a long term solution and there are many years ahead where you can travel by plane to go on holiday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.