Flip flops and numb, tingly big toes

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had disturbingly numb and tingly big toes for about two years, although there were a few signs quite a long time before this. My initial assumption was that it was due to wearing flip flops much of the time for about 40 years since the 1960s - even for long walks. (I stopped wearing them about 10 years ago on the advice of a podiatrist after a knee problem.) The discomfort seems to centre on where the flip flop strap went between the big toe and the next toe. My GP agreed with my initial diagnosis, and after various tests (blood, ultrasound, nerve conduction), a consultant neurologist thought it was due to a compressed nerve because I have very flat feet. However, the nerve conduction test said that my nerves were fine so I am not convinced by this diagnosis. Has anybody else had this problem from prolonged wearing of flip flops? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Flip flops are not an ideal thing for the feet. They have know to cause plantar fascitis, meaning pain in the bottom part of the feet and sometimes on the feet. 

If i were you, i would experiment by stopping wearing them.

And so you did feel better after stopping them. So, confirmed that it was from flipflops

• Posted

Thanks for your suggestion, but I stopped wearing flip flops ten years ago, long before the tingling problems started. My guess is it's a combination of damage from hiking in flip flops, flat feet and arthritis

• Posted

.... although thinking about it I did wear flip flops around the house, but not outside, until the tingling started a couple of years ago ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.