Flip-flops/stutter entering into SVT?

Posted , 4 users are following.

How does it feel for you when your SVT starts? 

I'm 31 now. I have had a few episodes/year since I was 12. When I was younger, my SVT would start immediately, like someone flipped a switch, and my episodes would last a couple minutes. 

The doctor said I may grow out of it. 

The episodes have decreased in frequency and duration, so he may be right. 

One thing that has changed is when the SVT starts. It now flip-flops for a good 5 seconds. This is scarier for me than the SVT ever was, since it feels like my beats are not steady. Everything's haywire. It's almost like my SVT is trying to start up but fails a few times. 

Does anyone else experience this? 

Of course the cardiologist says not to worry when I try to describe the flip-flops.... Easier said than done! 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, dont worry ? how stupid. When your heart starts ridiculous out of time rattling it scares you to death. I crush a Verapamil,wash it down with water,  and lay down on my left side with loud music on so I cant hear it.  My first episode of SVT lasted an hour, at 230 -- then I went to hospital. You sound lucky !  I know when it is going to start playing me up, my midriff section starts trembling. GOOD LUCK .. 
  • Posted

Regarding your history, I also started having episodes when I was early teens but didn't get a diagnosis until I was mid 20's.  I have gone through periods where I've had frequent episodes (mostly self resolving) and then gone years without anything.  Up unil the age of 40 I'd had about 5 episodes that went for longer than 2 hours that required Adenosine.  Now it's all happening and I've been in the ED more times than I care to remember over the past 12 months.  I'm told this is typical and that it will only get worse as I age.   I've found that sometimes it starts with an on/off sensation before it gets really going, and sometimes those sensations don't end in an episode, while other times they do.
  • Posted

Hi,

Don't be fooled.....People do not grow out of SVT.

Attacks get usually more and more frequent. Depending on the severity and the type of SVT an ablation could be an option as medication often fails as well and have side effects.

Did your cardiologist recommend treatment?

• Posted

Although it is an old post the symptoms you are describing exactly match my symptoms. It always starts with flip flops like heart is trying to find a rhythm. Nobody so far was able to explain what is going on at the onset of SVT. If you have please contact me. Stress is a major trigger for me. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.