Floaters

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I’m not sure if this is the correct area but here goes.

I have had floaters (lots of little black dots) in my left eye for some years now. These have been annoying but have gradually settled over time. In the last few days I have noticed a slight change.

The left eye floaters have changed to an almost transparent worm with a black outline sitting in a very feint cobweb, and only one.

At about the same time sitting in a darkened room I have noticed a flashing arc on the very outer edge of the left eye at about the “7 o’clock” position, maybe extending to the “9 o’clock” position. Not noticed in daytime at all.

I might add my GP (I am in UK) is away but I have booked an appointment with my optician for 13 Sept for my annual eye examination. This was the earliest appointment I could get.

Any thoughts on this please anyone ?

John

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi John, I would look for another optician who could see you sooner, or go to your nearest eye casualty department.  I experienced what you have described and had a small retinal tear which required laser treatment. Thankfully it was got in time as I had left it quite a while thinking ( wrongly !) that floaters were quite normal.  Mine were like a snow storm and I found things like reading very difficult.  I dread to think what the outcome would have been had I left it any longer.

Coincidentaly I was back today at the eye casualty with floaters in my other eye, thankfully after thorough examination all is well.  They said it was " vitreous detachment" apparently part of ageing process. I had to endure all the dilating drops and bright lights yet again and my poor eyes are exhausted but thank goodness such a service exists and the staff were all very pleasant.

please try another optician. Mine told me they see " floater patients" as an emergency within 24 hrs . Preferably sooner .  

• Posted

Hi Evelyn,

Thanks very much for your reply. Not what I wanted to hear - yet - pretty much what I was expecting to hear if you get my drift.

?At this stage only my left eye has the issue of floaters. As I said, they started about 3 years ago as little black dots and subsided. My current floater is a small worm shape in a feint jelly like cobweb.

At this stage my vision is clear in both eyes, both together and individually and reading is not an issue. Nor is watching TV, driving etc.

?When the floaters were originally diagnosed, I was warned about the 'snow effect' that you described, and whilst I do not have 'snow' this little 'flashing arc' does concern me. The only other effect with the left eye that I have is an occasional blur like one might experience with a 'watery eye', accompanied by the worm floating by. Very annoying and very tiring.

?So in the morning, as you advise,  I'll ring my Optician and speak to him personally (as opposed to his receptionist) and see if I can get an urgent appointment or an immediate referral to the eye emergency unit.

What was involved with your laser treatment, were you in hospital as an in or outpatient, and what about driving afterwards ?

Thank you so much again for taking the time to comment.

John

• Posted

Sincere apologies for delay in replying John, hadn't checked to see if there were any further posts.  The laser treatment, if required is done in the eye casualty, its very quick, mine only took about twenty minutes, and they numb your eye with drops so you don't feel a thing.  I honestly had no side effects what so ever .  I hope you managed to get an appointment with your optician.  Given how long you have experienced the floaters , with no loss of vision or other issues, other than the lights, you may be fine, and not have a tear, however for peace of mind I would definitely get it checked out.  Your optician can do it and that might be all thats required.  You will be given dilating drops which mean you can't drive so maybe bear that in mind and take someone with you if you need to drive home .  The drops take 20 minutes to work, then you go in and see the Optician.  The examination takes bout another 10/15 minutes.  Good luck and hope you get seen soon.

• Posted

PS I should add you also get dilating drops and numbing drops prior to the laser , so again you can't drive a car, the only thing required having the laser is to be able to stay still, but theres no other discomfort.

• Posted

Hi Evelyn,

​Many thanks for all that info. I see optician tomorrow. so far, no worsening of situation.

John

• Posted

Hope you get sorted John, and with any luck it wont be anything to worry about .
    • Posted

Hi Evelyn,

?Thanks for your enquiry - well I did manage to get a consultation yesterday - not an in depth one - but sufficient to put my mind at rest and eliminate the dangers of damage to the retina. Next Tuesday I have a major eye examination which is my annual eye examination but as I am a bus driver I also have to have a major eye examination for the renewal of my bus drivers licence renewal to meet DVLA standards.

?Weirdly, the light I originally talked about has disappeared. The 'worm like' floater is still there. Worse in the morning,  better at the end of the day.

Again, weirdly when I am driving My vision appears to see beyond the floater in the cobweb and my eyesight is quite clear, best short distance, worsening in middle distance and pretty good long distance. Well, this time next week I'll know where I stand, and when I have a definite verdict I'll put a post on here.

Thanks for your help. Bye the way have you had cataracts ? I do have the early stages of one.

?John

• Posted

Hi Evelyn,

?Well I had a very thorough eye examination yesterday and my eyes are in relatively good shape. Certainly there is no reason why I should fail to get my bus drivers licence renewed.

?There are however dark clouds on the horizon and I have to return in 6 months (unless I have problems earlier). Both eyes have cataracts, the right eye cataract is relatively insignificant. The left eye is a potential problem, it is also the eye which has different types of floaters. If the cataract worsens in the next 6 months then they'll put me up for surgery sometime in the following 6 months.

?I have been given a briefing as to what types of problems may loom up and told if it happens get to the eye hospital emergency department super fast.

?So that's it Evelyn, many thanks for your advice and your helpful comments.

John

• Posted

Glad there were no tears John, but bit disconcerting re the cataracts.  Its something thats always at the back of my mind but all the doctors I have seen have never mentioned them so I am assuming everything ok so far.  On a positive you have at least been seen and made aware with good follow up, and you can continue your job with a much easier mind now you know the full extent of your problem  .  Take care and keep in touch . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.