Floaters

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have to believe that because floaters are so common that there have to be some eye care professionals (opthalmologist) that have them as well. I'm curious how they handle them as they can seriously be debilitating. Not all floaters are created equal. There are some that are not bothersome at all. A squiggly line or a dot that passes back and forth. What I have (and many others too) is a smudge, a blob that moves when my eye moves. If my eye is fixated I don't see it but every time my eye moves the floater goes past my central line of vision. Very unnerving especially while driving. My point here is that every time this is mentioned to people in they eye profession they fluff it off as though it is nothing and it will settle on its own, or we will get used it. So curious what they do. Because they truly are not easy to ignore.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

They are right, there is not much you can do. The only thing I know of ( as a paraoptometric) is surgery where they would remove the vitreous from the eye and replace it. I personally find the surgery to be risky and not worth it but it is an option. Some things will make them more noticeable like the sun, computer etc. So sunglasses may help a bit when outside or adjusting your computer screen so it falls below where you are wanting to look. Wish I could give you a better answer. Best of luck!

• Posted

thanks for your reply, It's so bothersome because its not a squiggly line or black dot moving around it's more like a smudge or a dense blob. I've had the squiggly lines and they are so much easier to adapt to than this blob.

This blob moves every time my eyes move if I stay focused on one thing it moves out of the way. But for the most part eyes are constantly moving hence the blob moves.

All floaters are not created equal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.