Floaters and eye examinatoon

Posted , 5 users are following.

Without any previous symptoms I developed frightening floaters in my left eye which I immediately went to my optician to check out.

He examined both eyes thoroughly and explained why these occur..but also said that he detected a slight bleed but was unable to look in more detail so referred me to see the Hospital Eye Consultant.

During the procedure he put drops in my affected eye to dial ate the pupil. This was very sore and today I still feel my eye is sore and has a slight ache.

The blackness of the floaters seem less obvious today but still are moving with my eye when I focus. I am very frightened and want to ask anyone if they have experienced similar problems.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Hi polly,yes,im plagued by floaters,i used to have the small black specks that didnt bother me,in older now,have something called posterior vitreous detachment in both eyes. I dont know how old you are but this is common as you age,anyway,my floaters are larger,some are black,some are clear,some are almost fuzzy looking. I dont want to be a debby downer as many dont get bad floaters as they age,but i have them,my vision also gets filmy from them. I do also now have dry eye too. I did have a small vitreous bleed when i was going through the process Of the pvd,ask the doc if this is what you are going through,they arent very sympathetic towards it as its an ageing process or it can happen when you are younger. It causes me anxiety as i always see it. I hope your floaters get better. Xx
    • Posted

Thank you...I always suffer with anxiety if anything worries me and I have no control. ..and this just came out the blue...which really spooked me. I am in my sixties..so if as you say it is part of the aging process I hate to think it will get worse. It is reassurance that makes bad things more acceptable. Sorry my wording "examination " came out wrong in the header...that wasn't a floater in the way just a typo. Good luck to you too. Our eyes are very precious.

• Posted

I go in quite a bit because of the anxiety,so with this i go more then once a year,you can google pvd eye,lots of info. Xx
    • Posted

My floaters cleared up and I am in the same age group. xx
  • Posted

Can you ring upan eye hospital as most have helplines?
    • Posted

Thank you Jane..I have today received a call from my local hospital who want to see me tomorrow.  Although I am scared, I feel that if I dont investigate the reasons why it has happened, it will affect my health in other ways.  I worry..and as they say..worry is very stressful on all our organs...thank you for your advice. Much appreciated.eek

• Posted

N problem. It is quite scary but please do keep the appointment tomorrow. I had black floaters and it was scary. however it was not a retinal tear so okay. Let us know what happens tomorrow.
  • Posted

Hi Polly

I'm also in my 60s and three weeks ago I started to get flashes in my left eye and a large black floater.  I went to my optition who tested me and said I had Posterial Vitreous detachment.  I saw the consultant at my local hospital today for more tests and he confirmed the diagnosis.  The floaters are horrible and sadly you don't get much help on that.  They are however nothing to worry about health wise.  This seems to be a common problem as we age, so please don't worry, although that's easy to say.  But you are not alone.  Hope you and anyone else with this feels better soon, I guess we have to learn to adjust.

• Posted

Hi Janet

Yes, I have been advised that it is now a symptom that I have to get use to. I feel very unhappy that this now is in my eye sight all the time and quite honestly it has made me feel quite tearful. The consultant said In time our brain adjusts but I wish it would disappear and my eye were as before. I really do sympathise with all people who suffer with these floaters. ..nuisance is not the word I want to use mine is a rude one.

• Posted

Sorry to hear polly,my eyes drive me nuts every day,some days are better then other,like today so far mine are quite filmy,no one understands unless they experience, it,id give anything not to think about it. Like i said before pvd floaters arent like the little ones i could ignore. I hope they come up with an easy treatment to ease them. Doctors really arent sympathetic on something that affects a persons eyes like this,its maddening. Xx
    • Posted

I was told that the floaters would dissolve. They have.
    • Posted

Doctors where i live,which is a city of 50,000wont do it unless you can barely see,they dont want to chance it. Plus barely anyone does it.
    • Posted

Me too. Doctors dont take it serious enough. Plus I think alot of ins doesnt cover it unless its absolutely necessary.
    • Posted

Ive also developed dry eye and that compounds it,plus after 3 years my vitreous still has not fully detached,i thought it had then i got more stmptoms,i actually was pretty symptom free for awhile.
    • Posted

Possibly right re the insurance. I am in the UKK so different hc system. Have you enquired  online to read any info  at any British  eye hospitals such as Moorfields and Manchester Royal eye hospital.
    • Posted

Im in the U.S. putting it bluntly most ins. Here stinks. I wish we had the health ins other countries have.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.