Floating Stools - How long until they become normal?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello,  I was hoping for some advice from someone. I’ve been back and forth to GP’s and hospitals for a variety of tests etc in the last 3.5 years with all the following symptoms:·         Frequent fainting episodes - identified as being due to iron ferritin levels being 3 (however hemoglobin levels pretty normal’ish at 9/10)·         Constantly put on iron tablets – as soon as it takes forever for ferritin to get a little bit normal, levels plummet as soon as I come off tablets·         Extreme fatigue·         Constant mouth ulcers all my life·         Diagnosed with macular degeneration eye condition (an eye problem that people in their 60’s/70’s get – linked to malabsorption – I’m early 30’s)·         No physical periods for the last 3 years·         Constant night sweats·         Floating stools (for the last 10 years at least) Having been convinced I have CD – I have been battling with Doctors to take me seriously. I stopped eating gluten about 3 years ago, and although I did eat gluten for the 6-week challenge for both the blood tests and endoscopy – I think going gluten free for so long resulted in my results showing a false negative. Having researched it, this seems to be a problem for many people. GP’s and Consultants looks at me like I’m a hypochondriac and one Consultant suggested that it’s just IBS. After speaking to a private nutritionalist earlier this year I have had a DNA test. Whilst not 100% conclusive to show that you actually have CD – it does give an indication as to whether you are likely to have it/or develop CD. My DNA results were positive for CD. Since going GF about 3 years ago, I no longer get ulcers or night sweats. Fatigue is slowly improving (now that I’m not taking the iron tablets the GP gave me that contain wheat starch). Whilst I’ve been GF or 3 years, I went  what I regard – as strictly GF in February this year (i.e. separate butter spread from partner/not using the same toaster in my house/not buying anything processed from a shop that I can’t guarantee is GF). However despite my diet changes 3 years ago, and even stricter regime earlier this year – my stools still constantly float. Despite the liquid iron supplements that I take – my stools still remain a normal colour and not black. I’m just wondering if anyone knows how long it can take for your stools to return to normal (i.e. sink)? I’ve had two colonoscopies in the last few years so know there’ nothing abnormal if you like. I’m hoping someone can help me – as I’ve given up with GP’s. They look perplexed and exhausted with my case – so a trip to my surgery would be pointless and a demoralizing experience.   I look forward to hearing from anyone J

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi   You may be having too much fat in your diet? That causes stools to float! : )
  • Posted

Thanks for your comment, but the nutritionalist has already reviewed my diet & it's completely fine - very low fat actually. 
  • Posted

Hi, Gemma. I am also puzzled that you have that floating stool problem, which causes you a disstres. I also have been on a Gluten free diet dor last 3 years and Was diagnosed With Colieace Disease at that time, but few days I started GF diet my problem with a diarroea and floating stool stoped straight away.

I also have been suffering of tiredness, but I do not take Iron vitamines, nor B12 or B6. You say, that it is not even helping you, so I will not even try to buy it.

I am so sorry I cannot help you with an advise. I feel with you. It must be so exausting.

• Posted

Odd - I thought I'd already replied to this discussion and stated that my stools are the complete opposite, in that they sink like stones!

I've never had my vits B12 or B6 measured, in fact nothing much is ever measured in my annual attendances at the GPs.  It's taken me 9 months to get them to give me a dexa scan - and at 75 years old and after 2 fractures in 2 years I think this is appauling.

• Posted

Hi Gemma, 

I have only been GF for nearly two weeks after my endoscopy showed I had CD after nearly 2 years of battling for the doctors to take my iron deficiency seriously. I'm still waiting for my biopsy results but have had an appointment come through for a Bone scan! Not the best communication lol. 

Thank you for the heads up about the iron tablets as I will need to check mine smile 

My stools still float 2 weeks in but I will update when they change. 

• Posted

Hi

I'm celiac and I've been gluten free for Over 2 months. My stools still float and I'm unable to maintain my weight, let alone regain what I lost prior to diagnosis. Prior to diagnosis I had alternating constipation and diahreah but my stools usually (but not always) sank. It's only since being gluten free that this problem has been constant. I did wonder if its part of the healing process as my stools are now formed and my bowel movements are regular, which they never were before. It's just the floating that I find worrying. Also, since going gluten free but never before I have had yellow and light coloured stool.

I'm also having problems with excessive gas, early saity and swallowing issues, I'm sure its nothing to do with celiac disease but it is strange that my other digestive issues arose at the same time as I was diagnosed with celiac.

I would just like to feel normal and healthy again.

• Posted

Denise - coeliac can cause lactose intolerance - I had similar problems for the first five or six months GF, and then read that lactose might be a factor. I have been much better and started putting on weight (too much in my case!) once I started using lacto-free milk and eating only hard cheese and live yogurt. I am told that this is temporary, until the small intestine heals, and should be right after about 2 years.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.