Floating Stools on Mirtazapine

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just wondered if anyone else has had floating stools while taking Mirtazapine?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Floating stools are generally a sign of malabsorption. This could be unrelated to the Mirtazapine. Maybe consult with your doctor to find the underlying issue.

• Posted

No, but if the mirt is starting to make you eat more then it might just be down to the food your eating which you wouldn't eat normally

• Posted

For me, because I've been gaining weight since going back on a low dose of Mirt, I've been cautious about what I've been eating, so better quality foods than before but still have floating stools and loose too. This is total opposite of what I usually am.

• Posted

Count yourself lucky, some days mine is like water! Hasn't been solid since I have been on them.

I genuinely feel like I want to sue my GP practice

• Posted

I can relate to the loose, explosive, watery stools.

I didn't have this problem first time i was on Mirt 15mg. Now I'm on a lower dose of 7.5mg & not agreeing with my body.

Since I've done more research, I'm better off without them!

• Posted

Yes, lots of reactions with Mirt : I've had floating stools, loose stools, distended belly and bloating, increased weight gain, belly rumbles, increased appetite, excessively cold at night alternating with night sweats, headaches, sleeping 14+ hrs per night, groggy all day, forgetfulness, trouble remembering details of the day and short term memories.

It's odd for me to have the loose stools, floating stools, tummy rumbles, bloating, gas, & extended belly that i have the past ten days. I couldn't figure out what was going on! I was beginning to think that I had IBS.

I stopped going to counseling end of September so i stopped taking the 7.5mg dose of Mirt, cold turkey.

Two weeks later, i had the worst nightmares, which have not stopped, major anxiety, heavy crying spells, panic attacks, every fear I've ever had came back and I was consumed and overwhelmed, plus insomnia.

So i started back onto the 7.5mg of Mirt thinking that will help relieve the anxiety and suicidal thoughts.

Ughhhh, i just want to go off them for good. Now, that I've done research and realized it is an ordeal of withdrawal symptoms, i will have to taper the dosage very slowly: 3.75mg next week, then on one night of 3.75mg, then off the next (on & off alternating for a week), then on 3.75mg then off two nights for a week, then on 3.75mg then off for three nights, so on & so forth until I'm totally free. Seems so daunting, but to lessen the w/d symptoms i guess that would help greatly.

By the way, the only thing that has helped the rumbling & sour stomach is Mylanta X-strength OTC. For the loose stools, it's disrupted sleep all week.

• Posted

Hi bucklebee,

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologies for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

Kindest regards

Patient

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.