Flomax after TURP

Posted , 6 users are following.

i had a radical TURP 2 years ago and my urologist still has me taking Flomax , is this normal ?

i thought the surgery was suppose to cure everything ?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

did you try to see the effects if go w/o for a while? what was the reasoning of the urologist when you asked him why he recommends taking Flomax after surgery?

• Posted

did you try to see the effects if go w/o for a while? what was the reasoning of the urologist when you asked him why he recommends taking Flomax after surgery?

• Posted

I am in the same situation as you Kenneth. I had radical Turp surgery 11/08/2016. After a long recovery about 6 months I was doing well for almost two years. Now I'm back on a double dose of tamsulosin. Urologist recommends another run at the turp surgery. After what I went through I really don't want to do that. Living on the pills unless it gets much worst.

• Posted

Just letting you know what my urologist did. Before the TURP, I was on both FLOMAX and Finasteride. Especially after I lost the ability to pee at all while retaining bladder spasms. Post-TURP, he told me I could drop the FLOMAX but stay on the Finasteride. If I remember correctly, the FLOMAX was supposed to open up the pathway while the Finasteride was supposed to "shrink" the size of the prostate. I told him that I had just refilled the FLOMAX, so he told me that I could continue to use it, if I wanted, but didn't need it. So, he took me off FLOMAX but left me on Finasteride. By the way, I was started on a single 0.4 mg Flomax a long time before I had urine retention but was upped to 2 x 0.4 when the ability to pee stopped.

• Posted

thxs for the reply ... i p**s like a race horse since the TURP , im stopping talking the flowmax .

• Posted

well thanks for the reply

i pee like a race horse after the TURP , i just do t understand why she has me on flomax for 2 yeats now .

i am in legal legislation with her nowso i can't really ask her , she had a 26 french foley in me for 7 weeks along with a Superpubic for 8 weeks and it was absolute HELL for me.

constant UTIs etc not to mention the pain , i believe my urethra was also damaged .

• Posted

Wow! 26!?! Many of the catheters I had placed were done in the emergency room by nurses there. One tried to put in a 24 and the pain was so intense, she couldn't inflate the balloon! Luckily, a urologist was on call and came by, removed it and put in a size 20. Kaiser had a policy that no one catheter could be installed for more than 30 days. But I always got them to check me for a UTI and always, they found one. With the TURP I had, I was fitted with a size 22 and that was the last 5 days of me having a catheter in me. I hope. I made them check me for a UTI after a couple weeks and I was clean as I was in the middle of a CIPRO course right about then.

• Posted

yes a 26 french

even the nurse was like damn !

i loom back on it and really dont know how i did it .

she was a man hater i think .

• Posted

OK, but I would suggest obtaining a new urologist if necessary. Maybe talk to them about past and current issues, get an MRI/CT Scan and/or cystoscopy. Just because I was taken off the FLOMAX, doesn't mean it is right or wrong for you. I would prefer changes like that (at least for me) to be under a urologists advice. In fact, when I ran out of that last bottle of FLOMAX, I contacted the urologist to re-confirm that he preferred me to be off of it. If you are not with her, someone else. Judging by the pain I had with a 24, I can imagine what a 26 is like. Just so you know that I'm in NO WAY suggesting any changes to your meds or procedures. Just talking about what I went through for comparison-sake.

• Posted

You should always compliment your urologist as they have your entire life in their hands. Come to think of it, the pretty nurses at the ER and other staff. When they do a TURP, the "cuttings" (or, in my case, burnt cuttings/offerings) are flushed into the bladder. Then they insert a large Foley into you. Mine was a 22 (and done under general anesthesia) but, I was told, the end is modified to deal with the large chunks of "meat" that are now in the bladder. Then the chunks get flushed out through the Foley and are sent to the lab. With the triple port, your hours in the recovery room there is constant irrigation going on. Reddish urine, then clear urine, then yellow/normal and, finally, massive blood clots over the next few days. It seems every place is different. Some stay overnight at the hospital and the Foley comes out in 24 hours. Mine was you go home the same day with the Foley and the Foley comes out 5 days later, along with a void test. Good like with all this.

• Posted

Sorry: Good LUCK with all that. Typo.

• Posted

Very rarely will any prostate surgery last a long time and any kind of drug supplement either does little or nothing or has bad side effects. Urologists like to do repeat performances. There are no guarantees.

• Posted

Kenneth,

Stop taking it and see what happens. When I run out of my Flomax I have some Alfuzosin that I will try. Maybe we don't need anything? I had my TURP a year ago.

Tom

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.