Flomax v generics

Posted , 4 users are following.

I find the generic tamulosin on prescription on the NHS doesn't work as well as the branded Flomac. I was taking the prescription stuff for a few months and didn't realise my symptoms were getting worse slowly. I started taking branded flomax and started getting better results again. Anyone else find this ? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It wouldn't surprize me - I switched from one generic Tamsulsin to another (in USA) and I think I noticed a small difference, it was not as good as the first generic. In Australia I was given brand name Minipress to help with BPH and when I tried the generic Prazosin in the USA it didn't seem to work as well. Maybe you just had ills from a bad batch,  I'm guessing when they manufacture generics the quality can vary.

• Posted

Yes they do vary but the problem is the GPS will deny that until they are blue in the face. Fact is the British NHS is being ripped off being sold under strength drugs. They difference was vast between the one I was taking and the generic prescription. I know this because the side effects where much stronger when I started taking the flomax again; it was like I was taking it for the first time. 
    • Posted

Like I said possibly a bad batch - I doubt it's under strength, what are you saying like the local pub is watering down the beer? LOL

Generics are probably cheaper because they make massive batches, and I believe it's harder for them to get the concentrations correctly mixed.

On the other hand you might be right, I have less side effects from what I'm taking now compared to the previous generic. Which is a good and a bad thing I suppose.

• Posted

I am one of those elderly persons with already low  BP especially in summers even without medication 130/60. I consulted various competent Urologists for frequent wash room visits at night. Every one gave me different medicines  i.e  Flowmax, Tamulosin, Xatral (Alfuzosin Hydrochloride) etc but my BP used to further drop with each of them. Appears all these belong to the same group, hence I had to leave them. I have come to the conclusion that it is better to visit wash room 3-4 times a night rather than resort to medicines.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.