Flomax vs Alfuzosin/Uroxatral

Posted , 6 users are following.

Have been on uroxatral for some time now and discovered quite by accident that it has no effect as compared to Flomax.  i.e.  Was prescribed Flomax to help deal with prostatitis and the effect was to reduce my bathroom trips in the night to 1 instead of 4. 

BUT...flomax has sexual side effects.  Not a pleasant tradeoff.  No side-effects with uroxatral -- but it doesn't help with nighttime urine stops as Flomax seems to do. 

Has anyone had their uroxatral dosage increased to achieve a better result.  Am hoping so. (Both drugs are said to treat the same condition of middle-of-the night urgency.) 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I started on Flomax several years ago for my BPH. It made me very dizzy and provided no relief for my BPH. But uroxatral did help my BPH a lot with no apparent side effects at all. It helps me to void better so there are less bathroom trips at night. Never try any of the 5-alpha reductase inhibitors like Proscar and Avodart. They have terrible side effects, especially sexual and their benefits wear off after a few years. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks for this .. will keep in mind - several people here said Flomax didn't work for them.

• Posted

Alfuzosin works better for me than Flomax and with fewer side effects.  I have a post on alfuzosin in this forum.  I posted an article written by doctors at University of CA, San Francisco, discussing how the results of a french study showed that alfuzosin has significantly less risk for floppy iris syndrome when compared with Flomax.
  • Posted

Thank you for all the input.  I am on the Flomax just for the duration of prostatitis treatment.

(The doc says it helps absorption of the antibiotic.)  Will switch back to Alfuzosin and restrict my fluid intake after the evening meal. 

• Posted

Wow - sounds crazy - Flomax is used to CHANGE GENDER????

Hey, am I going to be "changed"???   My uro never warned me about this. 

Men, any comments?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.