Flomax vs Finesteride

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi Folks, Im a 66 year old male who has a enlarged prostate or weak bladder. Oncologist put me on Flomax but the side effects were horrible. I tried Saw Palmetto and have found it works very well for me. This may sound silly to some, but lately I have been thinking about taking propecia for hair loss. I was on rogaine for 30 years and it has quit working. My question is would the propecia(which is one percent finesteride also have the same side effects as the Flomax did? Propecia was orginally used for treating enlarged prostate. I also have a ct scan once a year where they check for any lung cancer recurrance which I had 10 years ago and they removed my lung. Last scan they saw a spot on my pancreace and did a biopsy. Fortunatly it was benign but they said they will need to continue watching it for any growth or change. Amy replies would be appreciated.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sorry. I have no direct experience of this, but as we are all individual in our reactions to drugs, I'd suggest trying it for yourself and see if it works OK without advers reaction, but of course stop if there is any. Wishing you well....

• Posted

Hi Mike

Prior to my HoLEP procedure two years ago which sorted out my BPH problems once and for all, I had taken everything you are on for almost a decade.

The Saw Palmetto worked for about 8 of those years by slowing the enlargement but it got to the point that something else had to be added to help boost the effects of the SP and I was first put on Finasteride then Dutasteride all of which act as androgen blockers.

I was also on Flomax for 8 years and personally I experienced no side effects which was particularly lucky for me as I was on alpha blockers for an irregular heart beat and by adding beta blockers (Flomax) there is a risk of blood pressure being lowered to unsafe levels.

I was well aware of the potential effects of Finasteride and Dutasteride on hair growth but as I have a full head of hair and hair loss doesn't run in my family, I couldn't say how or if it would have affected me.  In your case the Finasteride may have some potential to help with hair regrowth but I'm no trichologist so wouldn't dare comment further. 

As for Flomax, it works in a completely different way to the androgen blockers and any side effects experienced that may be similar to Finasteride would be purely coincidental. Personally, I would stay on Flomax given that it helps relax the muscles controlling urination and let the androgen blocker deal with the enlargement.

It may be helpful to discuss with your Oncologist the possibility of changing to Dutasteride, as is a combination of two different androgen blockers which would have a greater affect on either stopping prostate enlargement or possibly reducing its size.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for the replies guys. Rogcal, That is what the Flomax did to me. My blood pressure would drop like crazy. Also I had headaches and sexual side effects.
    • Posted

Ask for alfuzosin instead of flomax for less side effects. Hank
  • Posted

They all have side effects but do nothing for the prostate except saw palmetto which because it has no side effects you believe it is working until your PSA shows otherwise.
  • Posted

I'm not sure I can help you much.  I am on both drugs.  The Flomax relaxes muscles, and the finasteride shrinks the prostate.  The Flowmax has caused me to have retrograde ejaculations, exacerbated my post nasal drip a little, and maybe made me a little dizzy when I bend over and then stand up.  I haven't noticed anything different with the finasteride, but then I still have a full head of hair.

• Posted

Thanks everyone! You have been very helpful. Pluff Mudd you were of more help than you realize. Now I know how the two work differantly. Im waiting for my oncologist to call back so I get his opinion if it is ok for me to do. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.