Flooding

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've not had a period since February yesterday it came back with a vengeance. I'm having to change my towel every 45 minutes. It is flooding out of me. Have ruined 2 pairs trousers and his knows how many pairs of knickers! It's a bank holiday weekend so won't be able to call Drs until Tuesday.

The towels I'm using just don't seem to be coping and it's really getting me down. Have spent most part of the day in floods of tears and unable to move far from the toilet. Any suggestions on better sanitary products greatly appreciated.

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I had the same.. its pretty common dont worry. I had to buy incontinence pads as mine was so heavy, also special pads for the bed  too is i would bleed through double tampax and pads over night. Ive had it happen a few times now, really bad if you miss.. I missed  4 months then had the period from hell.. really heavy/flooding for 6 days.. then just  stopped.  Just buy lots of things in so you are prepared. Most doctors wont give you anything  unless it goes on for weeks .  Really scared me first tim it happened as i didnt think it was ever going to stop, but now its happened quite a few times im prepared for it. Just keep well hydrated and take an iron supplement if you not talking anything so you dont get anaemic.

• Posted

Thanks for this. Have been on iron tablets for a while now due to severe anaemia. Spoke to pharmacist and they've suggested I take an extra one a day whilst the clotting/Flooding is so severe. Have purchased night time towels...will look into tena pads. I also have naproxen and paracetamol for the pain. It is totally scary and you do think after three solid days and nights surely it should be slowing down. Amazing how much our body can hold of this stuff.

• Posted

Doc said ibuprofen has some effect on not only helping with the pain but also slowing down the flood. I didnt believe it until I tried it...it works for some, it did for me.
    • Posted

600 or 800 mg every six hours. I usually only have to take 2 doses and flow slows down tremendously. Cramps and clots slow down too. Stay hydrated.
  • Posted

For the last 4 months I’ve been like this for at least a week of my (never ending) period. I use tampons and night Tena lady at the worst times. I always use some kind of panty liners whilst I’m on now because I never know how heavy I’m going to be. Hormones  suck!!
    • Posted

oh yes, and try Always 10x inside the Tena undies...they really do hold 10x the usual amount and pulls it into a layer away from your body so you dont feel so yucky.
  • Posted

Ugh been there so I feel your pain. I don’t get my period much anymore being 55 but last August I had one and I literally had to change my pad every hour. Work was horrible because every time I stood up the flood gates opened. I was anemic as well from heavy periods. It’s so annoying!
  • Posted

Hi,

I'm 49, still regular but found my periods are heavy and I bloat way more. I also found my breast get very soar and I have to drink little or no coffee, because it causes my body to flare up in pain.

I get pain in my arms, legs lower portion, lower back, and neck. It feel a lime some one lite a match to these parts of my body, it feels,like a burning sensation, I get feeling of electric shock or prick by needles, not alone of headache but tired and no will to go for walks, workout or sex.

I feel horrible for my husband because we had a very healthy sex life up until 5 years ago, and to think of it, I guess I started then but it did not clue in until now

• Posted

I’m in my 12th yearof the menopause, my last period went on for six weeks at which point I went to see my GP, I was flooding and at one point was scared to go out in case I started leaking, I had to cover the mattress in plastic sheeting and old towels because every time I moved I flooded, the doctor thought that I might need a blood transfusion but I just had iron tablets in the end, she prescribed medication to stop the bleeding and sent me off for a scan which was clear, basically my body was having a massive clear out, not had a period since. A friend with similar symptoms ended up having to replace her mattress because the bleeding managed to get through all the protection, we women have so much to contend with, this and then the menopause itself with all it’s symptoms, hoping I come through mine some time soon, though I have read that some women never come out of it, now there’s a thought haha 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.