flouxetine

Posted , 3 users are following.

i have been on 20mg of flouxetine for 2 months then started to get panicky as xmas is coming up and no work yet.  i started having diarrhea so i went to the doctors and he has upped my dose to 40mg, he said it will calm down but it takes a while to get into system again. is there anyone else experiencing this? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey! I can personally speak from my own experience on prozac(generic)

This is my 3rd time going back onto Prozac. The first 2 times I never really had any side effects. However, this 3rd time I am. It has caused ringing in my ears (possibly tinnitus) and I do believe that it has brought out paranoia related anxiety. I suffer from obsessive-intrusive thoughts. I will eventually go back up to 60mg, but for now I am on 40mg (upped a week ago) I never really noticed any side effects on 20mg, however 40mg increase has been a bit rough. Generally, things will get worse before they get better. The first SSRI I tried was celexa(generic) I had to stop after 4 days because the side effects were so bad. With each dose increase, there is a possibility of increased side effects. These should ease after the med is steady in your system & your body adjusts to the dose. I believe that altered bowel movements are common with SSRI's. I am not a doctor, but part of my obsessive thoughts are constant checking.. And I have done thorough research on almost every psych. Med there is. Lol

Honestly, it's about finding a med that you can bear with.. The beginning of taking and med. or each increase can also increase adverse side effects (this applies to a lot of other meds as well, not just psych. Meds) I honestly believe that what you are experiencing is normal. But if you need relief, I would speak to your prescriber or even the pharmacist you got it from. They should be able to explain it better than I can. I would speak with the pharmacist. Part of what they do is knowing what medications are for and how the human body reacts to them etc. I hope the best for you! Hang in there! No one deserves to feel bad! Take care!

• Posted

thank you for that lindsey it is reasuring to read your message, i have to just hang in there for a bumpy ride for next couple of weeks till it gets in my system xx
    • Posted

I have been on 40mg for 19 days now after 7 weeks on 20mg. I have had a few anxious days earlier this week with a headache but the past 2 days are way better. I had the same time line when I went on 20mg.
    • Posted

i hope you are feeling better for upping your dose, i am still a bit anxious but still nearly just a week from upping my dose.  i will let you know how i get on,  many thanks x
    • Posted

You're welcome! Trust me when I say that I know how hard it is. I began having all of my mental problems at the very end of my junior year of high school. I was 17. I won't go into detail but basically my only hope of treatment was through my grandparents. I abruptly moved out of my fathers house, which caused a family disaster (arguing etc) and that just added to the problem. Getting through the initial start up is terrible. I take both lamictal and Prozac. The first 2 times I started them, I never had side effects. This time is completely different. I am having side effects that I didn't think I would have! It will be okay! Hanging onto hope that things will be better soon! Take care!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.