Flu and fever

Posted , 2 users are following.

I’ve had the flu for five days and can’t get rid of the fever.  Is this the norm?   It never gets higher than 101.5 and responds to ibuprofen and acetaminophen.   I have Rx for prednisone and Zithromax.   Should I start them or wait a while?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

As long as ur body is responding to the Tylenol that is good. It's when it doesn't respond that's bad. I'm surprised they did not give you tamiflu. Prednisone is for inflammation. Meaning is your coughing a lot it will bring swelling down. The antibiotic does nothing to the flu it's a virus. Only antivirals would have helped but they must be taken in the first 48 hours that's tamiflu. Hope that helps. Flu fever should break after 4_6 days then symptoms can be there as long as 12-14 days. Lots of fluids and rest.

• Posted

Thanks.  It does respond to Tylenol.  I have asthma which can flare with a cold but haven’t had any trouble for a year or so.  I’d like to wait it out if possible.  The prednisone is 20 x 2 for five days.  I may give it one more day then.  
    • Posted

I always give the Prednisone to my little one when he gets sick. His trackia always get swollen causing him to have croup. When he takes the steroids he is instantly better in two days from the swelling. It's a great drug and taking by liquid you should have no side effects. Worst would be jittering. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.