Flu and problems sleeping

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all

I have been on Flu for 11 days now. My husband says I am more calm already and finding it easier to make decisions.

But I am finding it really hard to sleep as I don't seem to be able to drop off now until at least 4am.

Anyone else having this problem and if so did anything help?

Thank you and hope you are all well.

HG

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hiya I have been looking at this site for a while now but have only just recently registered. Im on week 7 of flu and I found it really difficult to sleep at first. I would be awake until 3/4 in the morning then sleep for about two hours only. I didnt find anything that helped particularly but would try and have a warm bath before I went to bed. When I did sleep I had some really bizarre, vivid dreams! I have found that my sleeping pattern is starting to get better now of its own accord and am falling asleep earlier and staying asleep for longer periods. Hopefully a full 8 hours isn't far away.

Glad to hear that you are having some positive effects from the flu already.

Take Care

Abs xx

• Posted

Hi Abs and Healthygerbil (brilliant name by the way)

I've been on flu for nearly 6 months now and find sleep is still my main bugbear.

It all depends on what is playing on my mind. In the early days it seemed like nothing particular was going on in the grey matter but the damn brain would not switch off.

Now i get 5 hours straight sleep and can sometimes drop off again when i've woken up.

I've got Temazepam on prescription for those nights where i cannot get to sleep but can only take this occasionally as it is addictive like all sleeping tablets are.

Getting to sleep will get easier as time goes on.

It's a long battle but we will all win.....eventually.

Best wishes to you both and take care. xx

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for your replies. I really hope that after 6 months this lack of sleep thing isn't carrying on, that would drive me nuts!

Didn't drop off til 5am just when it was getting light this morning.

8 hours at the moment would be heaven.

I have also noticed that I am really really thirsty and have to drink water all the time, constantly back and forth to the loo because of it.

Anyone else feel like this?

HG

• Posted

hi healthygerbil

i have been on flu for 4 weeks , but when i first started them i was so thirsty i was drinking a lot of water and then i would need the loo a lot but thankfully that as gone the only side affect i have got now is yawning , i go to sleep for about 2-3 hours then i wake up and i am on walk abouts around my house any time form 12am - about 3am then i am up 6am and i dont feel tired but i do get some nights where i can go back to sleep but i am always up at 6am no matter how many hours i have , i have always been like that though but now i have more nights where i wake up and i need to do something as i am like a caged animal if i just stay in bed

take care :cheerup:

mum2jord

• Posted

I keep waking up between 4.30am and 5.00 and can never get back to sleep which is tiring as I start a demanding job working with children at 9.00 it is very annoying. Into my fourth week on fluoxetine for moderate depression and anxiety cant say i feel much different yet sad sad .Im on 20mg a day.
  • Posted

Has anyone noticed that the flu is giving them the munchies?

Before I started on the Flu I had lost 1.5 stones in weight (due to dieting) but in the last 2 weeks I cannot manage to stick to my diet I just crave carbs all the time?

Anyone else? :s

HG :evil:

• Posted

yes ive lost two stone since xmas and ive just had this overwhelming urge to eat a pork pie, which i just have and thoroughly enjoyed, althou gh I feel guilty now. I definitely feel more hungry so gonna have to be careful dont want to pile on the weight ive lost.
  • Posted

Glad to see it's not just me getting the munchies.

How to control it though! :?:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.