Flu jabs for people with PMR

Posted , 12 users are following.

I wonder if members  are going to have the flu vaccine this year?   I have had the jabs every year till now but recently read somewhere that for PMR this might not be advisable - and may even have been a factor in causing PMR!   Any thoughts on this? 

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I got both, the flu and the pneumonia shot.  With the immune system being compromised I sure don't want to get either of these.  

• Posted

I think the pneumonia shot is good for 5 years and - after age 65 - I don't think one needs to get any more

• Posted

No I don't think that's quit right. I'm not sure how it works but I've heard of people getting a series of pnemoniea shots and when I ask my doctor about it after getting my shot, he said I was good for a five years at my age, implying that it could be given more often.

• Posted

There are two sorts of pneumococcal vaccine:

"There are two different types of pneumococcal vaccine. One that protects adults against 23 strains of Streptococcus pneumonia bacteria is called pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine (PPSV23), and it is marketed under the brand name Pneumovax. PPSV23 is made using dead bacteria. The dead germs cannot make you sick.

The other is pneumococcal conjugate vaccine, PCV13 (brand name Prevnar13), which is routinely given to infants and toddlers, but was approved by the FDA in 2011 for use in adults ages 50 and older. It protects against up to 13 strains of pneumococcal bacteria."

The recommendations for use of these two have changed in the USA in recent years:

"The pneumococcal vaccine can be given at any time of the year. The pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine (PPSV23) is recommended for the following adults:

Adults ages 19 to 64 with certain medical conditions (for example, certain kidney diseases, cigarette smoking, asthma, chronic heart orlung disease, asplenia, and conditions that cause weakening of the immune system) should receive one or two doses of PPSV23 given five years apart.

The pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV13) is recommended for the following adults:

Adults ages 19 and older with asplenia, sickle cell disease, cerebrospinal fluid leaks, cochlear implants, or conditions that cause weakening of the immune system.

It's now recommended that adults ages 65 and older get both vaccines. Adults age 65 or older who are need to get both should get the PCV13 vaccine first, followed by PPSV23 6 to 12 months later. If an adult was already vaccinated with PPSV23, he or she should receive the PCV13 vaccine a year or more later."

In Europe there may be a different one available which is only given once. My husband had the 5-year one originally and has more recently been given one that doesn't require repeating. Not sure what they are though.

• Posted

I've just found myself transfixed by a website Canadian Immunization Guide Chapter on Influenza and Statement on Seasonal Influenza Vaccine for 2016-2017 which has more information than you would ever want to know about the flu vaccine.  It's probably worth asking the person who's about to jab you what vaccine you are being given as there are several kinds.

• Posted

I have  now   read as much of the information on this very informative Canadian Immunization Guide website as my brain can absorb before coffee...  and I will be asking the nurse what vaccine is available.  Thank you for this - .
    • Posted

I never would have thought such a topic could be so absorbing!  I just wish I understood it better. confused

• Posted

indeed, it is a lot to try and take in! 
    • Posted

I skipped all the sections except the ones applying to my age group!
    • Posted

Immunology IS fascinating! I did a bit at uni 40+ years ago but my real field was biochemical medicine. They've all changed out of sight since then of course. My daughter wanted to do immunology after uni and was shortlisted from hundreds to the final 10 for the 6 training posts available in the UK that year. She came in no 7 and was told to reapply 2 years later for the next round of training, which didn't happen she would have been given a place first time round but she is tiny and simply looked so young they didn't think she could cope with living in London. She'd have been fine, all her cousins were there to look after her! So she went in a different direction and ended up a paramedic.Rather different but she loves it.

The article about immunology in wiki is quite interesting as an outline.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.