Flu like symptoms

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi all

I'm looking for some help here. I've searched the message boards for the answer to this question with no luck.

I'm newly diagnosed with PMR. Today marks the 2 week point of taking Prednisone. 20mg = 10 mg 2X a day.

I must say it has been a life saver from the pain. Other than some issues with my tongue and taste I've had no side effects.

However, today I woke up with blurry vision which lasted about an hour. It was unnerving at first as I thought maybe GCA. But, as I had no headache or jaw issues I thought ok. Off to work I went

Here's the problem: by 10:00am blurry vision is gone but, I'm nauseated, dizzy, shaky, weak, lethargic and feverish. No headache but my head feels very heavy. Really not well. I came home.

Is it possible it has taken 2 weeks to feel side effects of Prednisone?!?! or do you think perhaps I've caught a bug with lowered immune system?

I'm supposed to take my dose now but, really can't eat a thing. Prednisone has been a God send to me reducing the dibilitating pain I had.

I'm hoping it's not the case. Thank you in advance.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I can tell you that when first on prednisone I had some vision problems. It would blur so saw my ophthalmologist. I had dry eyes and needed to take drops. This is a prednisone side effect and see her every 6 most.

A lot and I mean I have a lot of side effects came on not immediately but within weeks they crept in but grateful for no pain like it was.

Mariane

• Posted

I can understand your concerns and uncertainties. It is part and parcel of PMR and steroids. I am about 9 months down the line. I still have blurry vision if I read for too long and I love reading but it was there prior to diagnosis. It's easy to forget that we are just as susceptible to viruses etc and more so with steroids and PMR so what you are experiencing may be that. Be kind to yourself and rest as pacing is the answer. I feel the best I have felt in a long time and have been out and about a lot. I experience some pain but it is bearable. Life has improved and I was so reluctant to take steroids but they work if it is PMR and the alternative doesn't bear thinking about. Eileen who has masses of superb advice and information is not the same person as iellen32 as reading your post would lead me to be believe are your thoughts! I hope you feel much better soon. Eileen will answer your questions if you direct them to her as will others with lots of experience.
    • Posted

Thanks so much 4Silver. I did confuse the "Eileens". I'm glad to hear your feeling good. I can only hope the same!
  • Posted

Have posted on here as well today, didn`t realise I have been feeling like you these last few days.....horrible vision problems/fatigue/frontal headache....it`s such a minefield...is it side affects, is it the pred, or is it a bug....

Have been on pred 3 years....coming down from 11mg to 10.5 , with the VERY slow method....so not sure what`s happening...like you, hope it eases for us soon!....Good luck

• Posted

I too have been getting that frontal headache you mentioned Linda. I'm assuming it's allergies since our spring is starting up, very windy. But luckily the headache doesn't last long. 

I hope no one has the flu and feels better soon! 

• Posted

Until reading this post I'd forgotten that I had a period of time during my taper (and it would have been after reducing to below 10 but not sure exactly where) I would often wake up with a headache in the front of my head, a forehead headache, quite severe, so I thought it was probably sinuses.  They don't seem to come any more.  Now starting to reduce to 5.   wink
  • Posted

I'm not sure what caused the symptoms. It's possible it could have been allergies,a bug, hormone flare (pre menopausal and Sythroid for Hashimoto's)

Saw doc yesterday. She doubts it was Prednisone side effects.

Good news is that other than the headache, it has passed.

I'm still having issues with my tongue though. It feels like i burned/ scalded it. But I haven't Nothing looks abnormal. But I also have no taste ??? Forgot this at docs yesterday of course. It seems brain fog is still an issue too ha!

I'm sure they're will be more surprises...

I thank you all for your thoughts, shares, and ideas. I'm so glad I've found this site. It's reassuring to know we are not alone. <3>

• Posted

I also had strange tongue feeling almost numb  like I was at the dentist. This was in the first couple of weeks. Could not taste food either.  It was gone within a week or two ( cant remember exactly) and honestly with all the other changes with PMR I think we become more aware and apprehensive of our body, so we become concern. Most of the time it goes away ( at least for me), but if it doesn't , it is good to consult with doctor.
    • Posted

I totally agree. I'm hypersensitive to every little twinge at this point. Lol
    • Posted

Daniella,

i went though the swollen, red, burning, raw feeling in mouth for months. Pred causes dry mouth, so I use dry mouth toothpaste, and had symptoms of thrush, so had to do the Nystatin wash for a week. That worked. But I lost my tastebuds for about 3-4 months. Doctors said I had mild acid reflux with caused the inflammation in my esophagus and throat.

Mouth can cause issues in body too. 

• Posted

So as it turns out I do have thrush. Thanks to all of you for suggesting it. Just picked up RX for Clotrimazole Troches. Fingers crossed....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.