Fluctuating Moods

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm not sure if this is from anxiety, but my moods change abruptly, all the time. I could be really happy, then someone says something that bothers me and all of a sudden, I lose my grip on that happiness. I either get really depressed, or I get angry, then feel depressed. I'm always easily bothered by what others say, and can't seem to let go of any of those negative things.

3 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Im the same kayla I literally take everything to heart and I get so upset about what people think of me I do try to look for the positives but its so hard at times 
    • Posted

It gets harder after you lose all of your grip..y'know?
  • Posted

Kayla don't be hard on yourself. I do this as well. I always think when someone is mad or being mean it is because of me. Really it never is. I have always been up really high and down really low. I try to meditate. I have been put on medication to help with my anxiety and really I just need not to be around people who don't care about others around them.  And Sue, It is not for you to know what people think of you. It is what YOU think of you .... And remember you are always Fabulous!!!!
    • Posted

Thank you. I suck at meditation, though it's a lovely idea... I've always had a "short fuse" and with getting severe anxiety, that made it worse.
    • Posted

I totally understand. I had to find the right music, go outside (forced myself) and just chill. hear the birds, feel the earth and empty my head. not an easy feat. I found power walking helped keep the crazy out of my head and the pain in  my belly. It is not easy and I in no way lesson what you are feeling. I know the pain. Breathing, being around people help too. I also had to stop caffeine and that was not easy. Have you talked to your Dr. to see if they can help? perhaps a support group? There are a lot of them out there and they do help. Mostly to know you are not alone. I'm here for you if you ever need to talk. you can IM me...
    • Posted

Thank you. Very much. You guys, who are there for me on here, don't understand how much I appreciate your support. I don't know what I'd do without all of the people I know, being there for me, on here, and the very few people outside of this forum. Would you be okay with emailing me? I know you don't really know me well, but I'd love to get emails from people, who can relate to what I'm going through. Again, thank you. smile
  • Posted

I am exactly the same. Take everything to heart and blame myself for everything. If any of the people i live with are upset or angry I think it's me and my anxiety heightens. I am on red alert watching out if anybody is unhappy and absolutely hate any arguements ! Having two teenage daughters their is quite a few of them and I find it emotionally really hard to cope with and feel like begging them to stopAny ideas how to switch off from it X
    • Posted

I'm so sorry. I'm 18, almost 19, and 2 teenage daughters living under your roof, bickering at one another, must be frustrating... I'm no angel, but I hate conflicts so much more now! I can't stand even HEARING an argument. Anything abruptly loud, pierces my nerves. When my phone gets off, my heart beats out of its chest momentarily, and I sometimes feel slightly faint for a few seconds. 
  • Posted

I get like that alot! In fact it got worse since I got anxiety, to the point where I sometimes wonder if I'm borderline bi-polar.

It causes me not to wanna be around lots of people or I can't be social for long. I get burnt out easily and my moods change so fast I don't wanna be around people because I'll have to explain.

• Posted

Everyone wonders why you're getting upset... And they always expect you to know why, as well. Half the time, I don't even know why I'm in a bad mood.
  • Posted

I can totally relate to what you guys are saying, hearing arguing makes me wanna scream. I also feel guilty alot and take everything to heart, I keep assuming people feelings before I talk to them. It's already destroyed one relationship and it's threatening another, it's like I don't know how to shut my mind off! Also I get startled real easy and if anyone sneaks up or scares me on purpose I blow up then fall apart crying. Loud noises also hurt, like if someone's using a hammer I literally feel it in my head.
  • Posted

Hey Kayla,

I know exactly how you feel. I have always had fluctuating moods. The highs were super high and the lows were super low. Any small thing could irritate me into an anxiety attack and if people weren't in a positive frame of mind i'd lose the plot!

I've found that my own emotions are closely linked with others. It's not that i feel i have the divine right to control other peoples emotions, but i allow their emotions to control me. It's really hard to let go of!

Also i used to be extremely moody as a teenager and child, i'd throw tantrums and get in fights with people over the smallest of things. I think this was a learned behavior and i've found through CBT and meditation a way of calming this inner demon down!

Don't be hard on yourself, only you have the ability to create a calmness inside and you have to allow yourself that ability. You seem like a genuinely great person, take note of that and realise that awareness is the first step to finding a solution smile

I hope you have a great day!

• Posted

Thank you! I know this is going to sound strange, but I usually end up feeling what others around me are feeling. Someone could be on the other side of the room, their back facing me, and I could still feel if they're really depressed or angry. I don't know why. And I often mistake other peoples moods, for mine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.