Fluctuating sensorineural hearing loss

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello all.

I woke up about 2 months ago with the left ear feeling clogged. First it was treated two weeks with some antibiotic fluid but as it didn't work I went to an ENT and was diagnosed with moderate SNHL in low frequency and also high frequency areas. MRI was taken and tumors excluded. I've been taking Betaserc 2x24mg for one month now and hearing seems to fluctuate from very bad to almost normal. Usually it's worst in the morning. There's some sound distortion and slight dizziness/balance problem also when moving my head. Hearing fluctuated also before taking Betaserc, so I don't know if it is having any effect. When hearing in my left ear is very bad there's also fullness/pressure.

ENT told my dizziness is due to BPPV in the left ear and after I've done Epley's manoeuvre daily it seems to have almost disappeared. He told my symptoms don't match with Meniere's because of hearing loss also in high frequency area. So he assumed there has been some blood circulation problem that has damaged my inner ear, maybe due to a virus. He told to continue with Betaserc and come back for checkup after a couple of months.

I'm just wondering why the hearing is fluctuating and having the pressure if it is not Meniere's. Could it be a pre-Meniere condition that is going to eventually worsen? Also I find it strange coincidence that I have BPPV in the same ear. My ENT also said that it isn't Labyrinthitis because I didn't have middle ear infection first. But isn't it possible for a virus to cause Labyrinthitis without other infections? Can there be fluctuating SNHL in Labyrinthitis or other ear diseases except Meniere's?

There has been also two stronger very short dizziness episodes (no vertigo) in the same time when my hearing temporarily has come back to almost normal. Is this familiar to anyone with Meniere's or other inner ear problems?

So many questions, sorry. But thanks for reading my post and maybe having some thoughts to reply.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello I'm sorry to here what your going through my hearing goes an comes every day sometimes when I look a certain way fast slight dizziness comes but every thing just bout you explaining is what I have an i was diagnosed with menieres diease in 2008 hope you get tofeeling better

• Posted

Hi I only recently got diagnosed with Ménière’s but the symptoms started very like yours 20 years ago. The ent at the time said he wasn’t sure but maybe the start of Ménière’s. I was dizzy then with tinnitus and hearing loss in left ear. 

Had my first vertigo with vomiting attack 5 years ago followed by many more. 

When I was referred to balance clinic at the ENT they did the relevant tests and told me it was Ménière’s. I have taken betahistine for most of the 20 years just upping the dose if my balance was very bad. I have lost 70% of hearing in my left ear and the tinnitus is now quite loud.

most days I feel very off balance but do the vestibular rehabilitation exercises which have helped a lot. 

I get the impression that doctors will use the watch and wait approach if you don’t tick all the boxes. We as the sufferers need a diagnosis in order to know what we are dealing with. It’s very frustrating.

• Posted

My Menieres  was confirmed because of fluctuation in hearing tests! I have permanent loss in my left ear but can hear very high pitched noises.
  • Posted

PolarWolf,

Your experience mirrors my own from a year or so ago: I awoke with a stuffy left ear with a ringing that I never had before. Because I had been suffering chronic congestion from living with a dog I was allergic to (another story for another day!), I assumed it was a temporary condition. I also had bouts of vertigo which kept me off my motorcycle.

After 2 weeks, the symptoms persisted so I went to the Urgent care center where an ear infection was diagnosed and antibiotics were prescribed. 2 weeks later the symptoms persisted so I went to my PCP who prescribed another round of antibiotics. By this time I was experiencing classic symptoms of Menieres Disease so my PCP referred me to an ENT who, after MRI and other tests, declared that I did not have MD but had 30% hearing loss and SNHL most likely caused by a virus infection.

While I was relieved to learn I did not have MD, I was left with permanent hearing loss and tinnitus in my left ear. Unlike you, I was not given any medication so I assumed the antibiotics had done their job, but I did wonder why the viral infection was not addressed if indeed I had one. Not sure if antibiotics can cure a viral infection?

At any rate, the ENT offered no additional help other than assistance with a hearing aid which I have so far declined. I have become pretty much habituated to the tinnitus as other health issues have taken priority.

Good luck to you and I hope you get the help you need for resolution of your symptoms!

• Posted

Hi. I had many of your symptoms for several years prior to being diagnosed with menieres disease.  I received a firm diagnosis in 2014 after suffering numerous vertigo attacks, some loss of hearing, tinnitus, and fullness in the affected ear. This happened after a lengthy flight. My life was changed forever. I recently underwent sac decompression surgery to combat frequent vertigo attacks. Of course, surgery can pose its issues too. 

Best to you....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.